[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #742: Has YouTube taken over the world? Maybe.

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 17 10:30:44 EDT 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #742: Has YouTube taken over the world? Maybe.
March 17th, 2021

[image: YouTube] I don't know about you, but I feel like I have watched
more video content during the pandemic than in the rest of my life
combined. And it hasn't been limited to just Netflix or other streaming
services. I've become a short-format aficionado (TikTok) and spent a good
number of hours falling down the YouTube rabbit hole as well. In
particular, YouTube is the focus of some ongoing controversy and culture
wars this week.

   -
   - Should Netflix Be Afraid of YouTube?
   <https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/03/15/should-netflix-be-afraid-of-youtube/>[The
   Motley Fool] "The market research outfit touted YouTube as the only social
   platform to increase viewing time in all four categories of content it
   monitors (entertainment, media, brands, and sports). Connected TVs had a
   lot to do with that."
   - YouTube Technology and Culture have Taken Over the World
   <https://citywatchla.com/index.php/cw/los-angeles/21383-youtube-technology-and-culture-have-taken-over-the-world>
   [City Watch] "It is possible to upload material to some far-off server and
   it is possible for somebody equally far away to download it and watch it at
   any time of the day or night. This technology is available to emergency
   preparedness events, stamp clubs, and even scientific societies. "
   - YouTube still hosts extremist videos. Here’s who watches them
   <https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/03/10/youtube-extremist-supremacy-radicalize-adl-study/>
   [The Washington Post] "Overall, more than 90 percent of views of videos
   from alternative and extremist channels were from people with high levels
   of racial resentment."
   - Why popular YouTubers are building their own sites
   <https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55349255> [BBC News] "For a long
   time there have been tensions between those creating content on YouTube and
   the company providing the platform, ranging from disputes about ad revenue,
   to copyright problems, and even rows about the way videos are recommended
   to people, Many successful YouTubers are now sizeable companies in their
   own right, and are seeking to safeguard their futures."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - GO TO YOUTUBE AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING: USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA FOR
   CHRONIC CONDITIONS
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=cph&AN=141995173&site=ehost-live>
   (Xiao Liu, Bin Zhang, Susarla, A., & Padman, R. (2020). Go to Youtube and
   Call Me in the Morning: Use of Social Media for Chronic Conditions. *MIS
   Quarterly*, *44*(1), 257–283.)
   - Nothing to see here. From flat-earthers to QAnon to Covid quackery,
   YouTube is awash in conspiracy theories and misinformation. But the video
   giant is deploying AI to try to keep the lunatic fringe from going viral.
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sch&AN=145912863&site=ehost-live>(HOMPSON,
   C. (2020). Nothing to see here. From flat-earthers to QAnon to Covid
   quackery, YouTube is awash in conspiracy theories and misinformation. But
   the video giant is deploying AI to try to keep the lunatic fringe from
   going viral. *Wired*, *28*(10), 70.)
   - Taking Your Library Instruction to YouTube.
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=137385613&site=ehost-live>
   (Moorefield-Lang, H. (2019). Chapter 4: Taking Your Library Instruction to
   YouTube. *Library Technology Reports*, *55*(5), 17–20.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.