[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #774: Tattoos have gone high tech

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Oct 27 10:30:11 EDT 2021

OPLIN 4Cast #774: Tattoos have gone high tech
October 27th, 2021

[image: Tattoo artist preparing to work] I admire the artistry and
commitment of tattoos, but they're not for me. (Too fickle to settle on a
design, and I'm kind of wimp when it comes to pain.) But some recent
tattoo-related tech news has me pondering. What if my tattoo could glow
<https://gizmodo.com/scientists-have-invented-light-up-oled-tattoos-1846379012>,
or monitor my health
<https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2021/10/samsung-invents-stretchable-displays-with-bio-sensors-that-could-be-used-as-health-patches-something-that-apple-could-be-int.html>?
Or how about a temporary QR Code that links to an appropriate song
<https://youtu.be/d15JOd75uG8?t=41>?

   -
   - People Keep Getting QR Codes Tattooed on Their Body
   <https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3dapk/qr-code-tattoos-pandemic-vaccine-green-pass>
   [*Vice*] "Tattoos are a way to capture a significant memory on your
   skin, a permanent-ish stamp that tells a story or, at the very least, a
   design you vibe with. But in the world of QR codes, the ink can be scanned
   to become songs, resumés, Instagram profiles and even…. wait for it...
   vaccine certificates."
   - Wave this device over your skin and test out a temporary tattoo design
   for a few days <https://mashable.com/deals/oct-26-tattoo-set-on-sale> [
   *Mashable*] "With Prinker's Tattoo Device, you can customize and print
   any tattoo design, then transfer it directly to the skin, where it will
   last up to three days... a foolproof way to live life to the fullest —
   without regret later."
   - Disappearing Tattoos Set Off Existential Debate
   <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/style/ephemeral-tattoos-disappearing-ink.html>
   [*New York Times*] "A company has engineered a body ink that disappears
   in 15 months or less, setting off an existential debate about commitment."
   - Could electric tattoos be the next step in body art?
   <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56561708> [*BBC*] "One day it will be
   possible to embed all necessary components in the transferable tattoo
   itself - including a sensor to monitor someone's vital signs such as heart
   rate or skin hydration, and a power source to keep the device working for a
   few hours, at least."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Mims, Christopher. “Electronic Tattoos
   <https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sch&AN=83356064&site=ehost-live>.
   (Cover Story).” *Scientific American*, vol. 307, no. 6, Dec. 2012, p.
   44.
   - Stankiewicz K, Jalian HR, Chuang G, Shofner J, Anderson RR. "Searching
   for optimal tattoo removal: a side-by-side comparison
   <https://doi.org/10.1002/lsm.22028>." *Lasers in surgery and medicine*.,
   2012, 44(4), 350.
   - Temming, Maria. “Temporary Electronic Tattoo Is 3-D Printed
   <https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=sch&AN=130263735&site=ehost-live>
   .” *Science News*, vol. 194, no. 1, July 2018, p. 5.

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.