[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #788: Spotify is having a moment. And it's not a good one

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Feb 2 10:30:01 EST 2022

OPLIN 4Cast #788: Spotify is having a moment. And it's not a good one
February 2nd, 2022

[image: Spotify on a smart phone] About a year ago, I allowed my son to
share my Spotify account. In retrospect this was a bad idea. Suddenly, my
library was full of playlists with titles like "POV I'm gonna fist fight a
demon" and, when I went to view my "wrap" for last year, it was clear who's
music was the main component of the annual review. Not to mention the times
when we fight for the actual use of the Spotify player.

Another, bigger fight is happening right now though, directly involving
streaming music's golden child. Artist Neil Young is removing his music
from the platform as a result of Spotify's support of podcaster Joe Rogan
<https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/31/joe-rogan-podcast-controversy-is-spotifys-facebook-moment.html>,
who is reportedly perpetuating COVID-19 misinformation. This, in turn, has
opened to floodgates, and the controversy rages on.

   -
   - Spotify reportedly has a very limited set of COVID content guidelines
   <https://www.engadget.com/spotify-very-limited-covid-content-guidelines-194545334.html?src=rss>
   [Engadget] "There's a lot podcasters can get away with with such a narrow
   and limited set of rules. In comparison, YouTube makes it clear that any
   content with claims that contradict local health authorities or WHO is
   prohibited on its website. It's not just suggestions that wearing a mask
   will cause harm that's prohibited on the Google-owned service, but also
   claims that masking does not help prevent the contraction or transmission
   of COVID-19. A podcast host on Spotify can say the latter without
   repercussions."
   - Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young, pulls her music from Spotify over
   vaccine misinformation
   <https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/29/joni-mitchell-joins-neil-young-pulls-her-music-from-spotify-over-vaccine-misinformation/>[TechCrunch]
   "As one of the world’s most famous and most well-respected living
   musicians, Mitchell’s decision to abandon Spotify over Rogan is bound to
   turn some heads. And unlike Young, she didn’t have an existing beef with
   the service over its stream quality."
   - Brené Brown says she's pausing her Spotify-exclusive podcast
   <https://www.engadget.com/brene-brown-spotify-podcast-pause-152507732.html?src=rss>[Engadget]
   " The move came amid mounting criticism of Spotify over its handling of
   Rogan and misinformation, with the UK's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan
   Markle (who themselves have a Spotify deal) voicing "concerns" over the
   streaming service's approach."
   - Spotify's new COVID-19 policy doesn't fix its Joe Rogan problem
   <https://mashable.com/article/spotify-covid-19-misinformation-joe-rogan>
   [Mashable] "By flagging every single COVID-related podcast discussion with
   an advisory, Spotify is implicitly putting Rogan's proclivity for junk
   science on the same footing as any deeply researched, science-first podcast
   tackling the same topic. It's a dodge: By lumping all COVID discussions
   together under one umbrella, Spotify gets to say, essentially, "Some of
   this is right and some of this isn't, and we're giving you the tools to
   decide for yourself.""

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Spotify removes Neil Young's music after he objects to Joe Rogan's
   podcast
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=6XN2022012717&site=ehost-live>
   (Anastasia Tsioulcas. (2022). Spotify removes Neil Young’s music after he
   objects to Joe Rogan’s podcast. *Morning Edition (NPR)*.)
   - Spotify begins off-loading Young tunes
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nfh&AN=6FPTS2022012763377814&site=ehost-live>(he
   New York Times New York Daily News. (2022, January 27). Spotify begins
   off-loading Young tunes. *Toronto Star (Canada)*.)
   - Exclusive: Comedian Lewis Black Wants Spotify to Remove His
   Grammy-Nominated Album Amid Comedy Royalties Battle
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ulh&AN=154099882&site=ehost-live>(McCluskey,
   M. (2021). Exclusive: Comedian Lewis Black Wants Spotify to Remove His
   Grammy-Nominated Album Amid Comedy Royalties Battle. *Time.Com*, N.PAG.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.