[OPLIN 4cast] OPLIN 4Cast #793: Facial recognition might be more well-known, but the problems only increase

OPLIN OPLIN support at oplin.ohio.gov
Wed Mar 9 10:30:02 EST 2022

OPLIN 4Cast #793: Facial recognition might be more well-known, but the
problems only increase
March 9th, 2022

[image: Face of young white male being analyzed] When the IRS announced
that it would start using facial recognition, my first thought was that
webcams on public computers were about to become a thing in a hurry. My
second thought became more of a thought quagmire, as I struggled to absorb
all of the privacy implications for library patrons that would bring.
Thankfully, the IRS scrapped that plan (under pressure, of course). Despite
the fact that it can be wildly inaccurate and can breach privacy in
significant ways, facial recognition tech isn't going away and it's very
much in use.

"This is one of many important wins to come, and I think everyone really
has to ask, 'What kind of society do we want to live in? Do we want the
face to be the final frontier of privacy?'"--Joy Buolamwini, founder and
executive director of Algorithmic Justice League

   -
   - The Hidden Role of Facial Recognition Tech in Many Arrests
   <https://www.wired.com/story/hidden-role-facial-recognition-tech-arrests/>
   [Wired] "Across most of the US, neither police nor prosecutors are required
   to disclose when facial recognition is used to identify a criminal suspect.
   Defense attorneys say that puts them at a disadvantage: They can’t
   challenge potential problems with facial recognition technology if they
   don’t know it was used."
   - Activists pushed the IRS to drop facial recognition. They won, but
   they're not done yet
   <https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/tech/facial-recognition-activists-irs/index.html>
   [CNN] "In the wake of the IRS's decision, some government agencies are
   rethinking their need for facial-recognition technology. The United States
   Patent and Trademark Office told CNN Business it's continuing to
   re-evaluate a plan that, as of April 9, is set to require anyone who wants
   to file for a trademark to first verify their identity with ID.me or with a
   paper form through the mail."
   - Secret facial recognition: Texas wants to sue Meta into bankruptcy
   <https://www.riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/modern-day-censorship/secret-facial-recognition-texas-wants-to-sue-meta-into-bankruptcy/>
   [The Rio Times] " Texas is suing Meta for thousands of billions of dollars,
   alleging that Meta violated Texas law by billions of dollars with automatic
   facial recognition. The allegations are against Facebook, which has
   automatically biometrically screened uploaded photos for over a decade, and
   Instagram."
   - How Wrongful Arrests Based on AI Derailed 3 Men's Lives
   <https://www.wired.com/story/wrongful-arrests-ai-derailed-3-mens-lives/>
   [Wired] "The policy includes requirements for random audits and annual
   reports reviewing use of the technology. A coalition of civil rights and
   community groups, including the Arab-American Civil Rights League and the
   ACLU of Michigan, opposed the new policy due to concerns that the tech will
   disproportionately impact immigrants and communities of color."

*From the Ohio Web Library <http://ohioweblibrary.org>:*

   - Facial Recognition Is Dead.
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=153514938&site=ehost-live>(Bass,
   D., & Bergen, M. (2021). Facial Recognition Is Dead. *Bloomberg
   Businessweek*, *4720*, 34–36.)
   - Privacy concerns raised as Met deploys retrospective facial
   recognition system: The Met Police will deploy retrospective facial
   recognition software in the coming months amid continuing controversy over
   the use of biometric technologies by law enforcement bodies
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=153118753&site=ehost-live>
   (Skelton, S. K. (2021). Privacy concerns raised as Met deploys
   retrospective facial recognition system: The Met Police will deploy
   retrospective facial recognition software in the coming months amid
   continuing controversy over the use of biometric technologies by law
   enforcement bodies. *Computer Weekly*, 6–11.)
   - Facebook Sets Plan To Shutter Its Facial Recognition Technology.
   <https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.oplin.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bwh&AN=153378923&site=ehost-live>
   (DEAGON, B. (2021, November 2). Facebook Sets Plan To Shutter Its Facial
   Recognition Technology. *Investors Business Daily*, N.PAG.)

   subscribing to the following URL:
   http://www.oplin.org/4cast/index.php/?feed=rss2.
   http://lists.oplin.org/mailman/listinfo/OPLIN4cast.