[OPLINLIST] Re: Downloading Music Responses

Sandy hartsesa@oplin.org
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:57:17 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0078_01C38F14.E3A40140

     The following are the responses I received from my original posting =
about allowing patrons to download music onto CDs or disks. =20
     If anyone else would like to respond to the list I would appreciate =
it. =20
Thanks.
Sandy Hartsel
hartsesa@oplin.org
-----Original Message-----
From: "Sandy" <hartsesa@oplin.org>
Date: Mon,  6 Oct 2003 20:58:49 CDT
Subject: Downloading Music

     Are you allowing patrons to download music from the Internet (sites =

like Kazaa) onto CDs or disks?
    Do you have a policy for this?  If so, would you please email me a
copy?
Thanks
Sandy Hartsel
hartsesa@oplin.org
--------------------------------

Sandy,
Please post your responses.
I'd be very interested in the results and I'm sure others would be as =
well.
Lisa
-----------------------
We don't allow patrons to download music to burn on CDs, strictly data=20
files.
----------------------------
No, we do not.  Most of the drives on our Internet computers are locked
off.  We have 4 Gates computers that have floppy disk drives and 4
off-line workstations with the windows office suite for homework. =20
-----------------------
We have our floppy disk drives blocked and we do not have any cd =
burners, so our patrons can't download and take music with them. =20
-----------------------------
We don't have a policy against it.  However, our PC's do not have CD =
burners and it would take multiple floppies to record one song.  Because =
of this we don't have a problem with patrons carrying copies of music =
out of the building.  They can download it and save it to the library =
server, making the library the only place they can listen to it. =20
------------------------------
We don't have an official written policy, but we do not allow it.  Once =
we said yes to a patron when he brought his own equipment to hook up to =
our PC.  It seemed to take forever, then he wasn't successful.  Our =
computer consultant may have had the terminals set up so he could not =
download the music.  We aren't very technologically savvy here, so I'm =
not sure what happened.  I also had some copywrite concerns, although =
this was debated among the staff.
-----------------------------
Please post responses to the list--I think we're all struggling with =
this issue, or will be.
-----------------------
To download from Kazaa you have to actually download the software to =
your computer.  I would remove it because I don't allow people to =
download actual programs on our computers.  If they just download a song =
or a file, I don't mind but I don't want anyone putting software =
programs on my computer.  Since it is illegal to download music and some =
have been prosecuted for it, I would not allow Kazaa to be used.  Are =
people doing it? Probably.  No one has been caught yet but I wouldn't be =
surprised if they're removing their tracks.  I do have some people come =
in and copy their music but I don't ask whether they bought it before =
copying.  Hope that helps!
-----------------------------

------=_NextPart_000_0078_01C38F14.E3A40140

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The =
following&nbsp;are=20
the responses I received from&nbsp;my original posting about allowing =
patrons to=20
download music onto CDs or disks.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT =
color=3D#ff0000>If=20
anyone else would like to respond to the list&nbsp;I would appreciate=20
it.</FONT>&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Sandy Hartsel</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"><A=20
href=3D"mailto:hartsesa@oplin.org">hartsesa@oplin.org</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans =
MS">---------------------------------------------------------------</FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: "Sandy" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:hartsesa@oplin.org">hartsesa@oplin.org</A>&gt;<BR>Date: =
Mon,&nbsp;=20
6 Oct 2003 20:58:49 CDT<BR>Subject: Downloading Music<BR><BR><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>&nbsp;Are you allowing =
patrons to=20
download music from the Internet (sites&nbsp;<BR>like Kazaa) onto CDs or =

disks?<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Do you have a policy for this?&nbsp; If so, =
would=20
you please email me a<BR>copy?<BR>Thanks<BR>Sandy Hartsel<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:hartsesa@oplin.org">hartsesa@oplin.org</A></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans =
MS">--------------------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" color=3D#ff0000>Responses I =
received:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sandy,<BR>Please post your responses.<BR>I'd be very interested in =
the=20
results and I'm sure others would be as well.<BR>Lisa</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">-----------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>We don't allow patrons to download music to burn on CDs, strictly =
data=20
<BR>files.<BR>----------------------------</DIV>
<DIV>No, we do not.&nbsp; Most of the drives on our Internet computers =
are=20
locked<BR>off.&nbsp; We have 4 Gates computers that have floppy disk =
drives and=20
4<BR>off-line workstations with the windows office suite for =
homework.&nbsp;=20
<BR><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">-----------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We have our floppy disk drives blocked =
and we do=20
not have any cd burners, so our patrons can't download and take music =
with=20
them.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>-----------------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3Dnavy size=3D2><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We don=92t =
have a policy=20
against it.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>However, our =
PC=92s do=20
not have CD burners and it would take multiple floppies to record one =
song.=20
<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>Because of this we =
don=92t have a=20
problem with patrons carrying copies of music out of the building. <SPAN =

style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>They can download it and save =
it to the=20
library server, making the library the <U>only</U> place they can listen =
to=20
it.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><?xml:namespace =
prefix =3D o ns =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
/><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000080=20
size=3D2>------------------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We don't have an official written policy, but we do =
not allow=20
it.&nbsp; Once we said yes to a patron when he brought his own equipment =
to hook=20
up to our PC.&nbsp; It seemed to take forever, then he wasn't =
successful.&nbsp;=20
Our computer consultant may have had the terminals set up so he could=20
not&nbsp;download the music.&nbsp; We aren't very technologically savvy =
here, so=20
I'm not sure what happened.&nbsp; I also had some copywrite concerns, =
although=20
this&nbsp;was debated among the staff.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-----------------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Please post responses to the list--I think we're all struggling =
with this=20
issue, or will be.<BR><FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS">-----------------------</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To download from Kazaa you have to =
actually=20
download the software to your computer.&nbsp; I would remove it =
because&nbsp;I=20
don't allow people to download&nbsp;actual programs on our =
computers.&nbsp; If=20
they just download a song or a file, I don't mind but I don't want =
anyone=20
putting software programs on my computer. &nbsp;Since it is illegal to =
download=20
music and some have been prosecuted for it, I would not allow Kazaa to =
be=20
used.&nbsp; Are people doing it?&nbsp;Probably. &nbsp;No one =
has&nbsp;been=20
caught yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they're removing their =
tracks.&nbsp; I=20
do have some people come in and copy their music but I don't ask whether =
they=20
bought it before copying.&nbsp; Hope that helps!</FONT></DIV><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>-----------------------------</FONT><BR></DIV></FONT></DIV></BOD=