[OPLINLIST] Internal Training

Kym Lucas kym.lucas@medina.lib.oh.us
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:43:11 -0700

--------------4C0E72C180E5750567E4173C

Hello,

I'm Kym Lucas and I am a (very) recent addition to the Reference and
Information Services Division Action Council. At the recent OLC
Leadership Conference, our group was tossing around ideas for the
2004 Annual Conference.  I know, I know, the 2003 conference hasn't even

happened yet, but we still have to start thinking about what we'd
like to offer for 2004.

First of all, let me apologize for the length of this email. I
usually try to keep things a bit more brief or send them as an
attachment.

I am interested in putting together a talk table about internal
training, particularly as it applies to the reference desk.  In the
current economic climate, I'm thinking that more libraries may be
looking within for training and we'd like to offer some ideas on what
has and hasn't worked in libraries that already do it.

We do some internal training here in Medina County and Pat Carterette
of Cleveland Heights-University Heights has graciously agreed to be a
part (should the program be accepted) of the discussion as well. But,
our
systems are quite similar in size and location.  I would like to try
to get some input from other libraries of other sizes, in other parts of

the state, that may be doing internal training.

Some of you I spoke with at Leadership. Some of you had your names
mentioned by others as possible contacts.

For those of you who work within libraries, could you please think
about what you may be doing internally to train reference staff and let
me
know if you are interested in possibly participating in this type of
talk table? For those of you who are employed by a library
consortium, could you think about what you might be able to contribute?
Or if any
of you know of other library staff who are doing internal training and
might be willing to help, I'd welcome suggestions.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. I realize
it's a long way off, but we do need to at least start to formulate the
programs for next year.

And (putting on my other OLC hat now), if any of you are interested in
volunteering to help at this year's OLC conference, we need help with
collecting evaluations, registering people and manning the hospitality
desk. We'd love to have your help!

Thanks again.
Kym Lucas

--------------4C0E72C180E5750567E4173C