[OPLINLIST] Request response

Don Yarman yarmando@oplin.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:03:29 -0400

Please note that Dr. Byerly's computer is most likely
not infected by the Beagle Worm.  Contemporary virus
messages seldom really come from who they "say" they're
coming from.  The virus in this message (captured and
deleted by OPLIN's server) came from someone who has
both gbyerly@kent.edu and oplinlist@oplin.org in his
e-mail contacts file.

I myself have begun to receive notification from other
systems that I've attempted to send someone a virus.
In fact, the virus has not come from me, but from someone
who has my address in her contacts.  It is for this
reason that OPLIN does not automatically notify senders
of infected messages, because those sender addresses
have probably been spoofed.

Still, it looks like Beagle is on the loose again.
Everyone might want to update their antivirus definition
files.

     Your most humble and obedient servant,

                          Don Yarman
                          OPLIN Library Services Manager