[OPLINLIST] B.E.A.R. II at M'ville Library

Susan Banks sbanks@marysvillelib.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:32:50 -0500

Greetings, Oplanders!

Another fun project to share: for the second smash year in a row,
we're partnering with our pals at Literacy United of Union County
for the "Be Excited About Reading" project, brainchild of LU
Director Cheryl Hagerty and our Children's Librarian Ellen Gee.

The Library is hosting 14 teddy bears (handmade by the inmates of
the Ohio Reformatory for Women) adopted by local businesses,
schools and organizations and dressed as characters from Dr.
Seuss books.  The whole group are sitting in the Library's entryway
for voting (the leader --  "Mack" from "Yertle the Turtle" with well
over $130) -- proceeds from the voting (people put money in
"banks" to register their votes) will buy Infant and Toddler Storytime
Kits for the Library.  The Bears will be transported to the County
Services building on the first of March for a big celebration of Dr.
Seuss's Centennial Birthday.  The bears will be auctioned off and
the proceeds from THAT event will go to support Literacy United.

You can see the bears and find contacts for both Cheryl Hagerty of
Union County A.B.L.E./Literacy United and Ellen Gee, Children's
Librarian at the Marysville Public Library at the Library website:
http://www.marysvillelib.org

Susan Banks, MLIS
Director
Marysville Public Library