[OPLINLIST] NoveList Notes: May-June-July 04: More Summer Reading Ideas from NoveList

Lynne Rohweder LRohweder@epnet.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 11:59:54 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C43E83.6B912EF2

NoveList Notes
May - June - July, 2004
Please share by forwarding to any other colleagues who would benefit from
this content.

More Summer Reading Ideas

We let the theme of Lewis and Clark's Expedition kick off some early summer
reading planning in the April NoveList Note for libraries trying to get
their lists and displays ready for their summer programs of discovery.  As
the busy month of May begins to wind down, as schools begins to move towards
their closing lesson plans, and as the days get longer and sunnier and
summer approaches, we felt a need to point out just a few more summer
reading ideas that NoveList can help you with as you move towards those hazy
days of summer.

One quick note about the NoveList Notes:  We will be taking a brief holiday
ourselves this summer since the next issue of NoveList Notes will not come
out until mid-August.  At that time, we'll be ready to tell you about the
new version of NoveList coming out this fall!

BEACH READS

"Beach Reads" is an all encompassing, wonderfully charged phrase that
describes that delicious experience of reading for pure relaxation and
enjoyment on vacation (at the beach, on a trip, etc). It also implies
reading during the carefree days of summer, further evoking feelings of
release and shall we say it, permission to read "whatever you feel like
reading" no matter what it is!

NoveList can help you find your own personal list of beach reads.  Try this
search:
1. Access NoveList and click on the START button.
2. Click the Boolean Search link.
3. Type in "Beach Read" and click the SEARCH button.  You should get about
30 hits. Browse through (or have your reader browse through) the list to see
if there are any titles of interest.  [Note that if you type in 'beach
reads' plural you will only get 5 hits.]

Or you can bring in some experts.  Joyce Saricks, nationally known readers'
advisor, describes Beach Reads this way:

"What makes a book a good summer read? To my mind the main ingredient is
that it be engrossing, a book I don't want to put down - no matter how long
the trip or how hot my surroundings. And I want it to be long enough; I want
to be able to sink my teeth into it, to participate with the characters in
their story. Whether we're looking for adventure, intrigue, or a story of
relationships in our romances, there's something here to take us away. Even
if we don't make it beyond the beach - or our own back porch - this summer,
these "beach books" will take us around the world, to other times and
places."

Check out her list, "Beach Reads" by Joyce Saricks, by going to the New
Search page in NoveList, scrolling down to the Feature Articles link under
Read About Popular Titles and Topics.  Select the link and then select Adult
Literature - Seasonal Themes.  Joyce's Beach Reads article will be in this
list.  Please note that this article is not in NoveList K-8.

You can find another Beach Reads list from Ann Bouricius, our Romance
contributor. Here is what she had to say about Beach Reads:

"So what makes a terrific beach read? In my opinion beach books need three
qualities. They must be light, quickly-paced, and funny. Though, when
traveling with teenagers "funny" is not necessarily always a good thing.
Several years ago my sons and I were on an airplane. I was reading a book by
Jennifer Crusie and laughing so hard that my older son, 15 at the time,
hissed, "Mom, stop laughing! You're embarrassing me!""

Check out her list, "The Very Best Beach Books" by Ann Bouricius, by going
to the New Search page, scrolling down to and clicking the Feature Articles
link and selecting Adult Literature - Romance to find Ann's article.

BEACH READS FOR OUR YOUNGER READERS

Our younger readers enjoy their "beach reads" just as much, and NoveList can
help with those, as well.  Like adults, young adult readers have a variety
of reading tastes and their interests are piqued by a number of different
influences.  Try this search in either NoveList or NoveList K-8:

1. Access NoveList (or K-8) and click the START button.
2. Click the Boolean Search link (if you are in NoveList K-8, you will need
to click on the Teacher Resources button first to see the Boolean Search
link).
3. Enter, "summer vacation", accept all fields, and select young adult for
the level.  This will generate a rather long list of over 70 books, which
may be longer than your reader wants to browse through.  If so, consider
entering these searches, (travel and vacation, travel and summer, beach and
vacation) which yield shorter subsets of the above list.

And don't forget about Explore Fiction.  At each of the Children's and Easy
levels of Explore Fiction, there is a "Places to Visit" subsection of lists
that your child is sure to find interesting this summer.  To get there, go
to either NoveList or NoveList K-8 and click the START button, then select
the Explore Fiction link.  At the levels page, select either Children's or
Easy and click the Continue button.  Scroll down and select the Places link
and then scroll down and select the Places to Go link.  You and your young
reader can select the beaches or seashore links to view a children's or easy
"beach read" list.

SOME ADDITIONAL IDEAS FOR SUMMER SEARCHES

Have an exciting vacation planned this summer?  Or, rather, you don't?  Why
not travel somewhere this summer through a book?  You can look for stories
in specific places by using Describe a Plot to enter the name of a location
or region.  Try "Great Smoky Mountains" or "Great Lakes" or the name of a
state or country.  A part of a country such as "Tuscany" works nicely as
well.  Make sure you have the desired level(s) selected and any other
limiters if you wish; then click the SEARCH button.

By this method, searching for "Tuscany," NoveList will retrieve a list that
includes Elizabeth Adler's Summer in Tuscany (2002).  Looking for "Great
Smoky Mountains" will yield a list that includes Evensong by Gail Godwin
(1997).

Perhaps you would prefer to look for books set in a more specific locale.
For example, you might want to explore the National Parks. They provide a
myriad of possibilities.  One writer well-known to mystery fans is Nevada
Barr, whose Anna Pigeon series visits a different national part in each
volume.  From the West to the East to the South to the North, we get
behind-the-scenes tours of the different parks, along with some good
suspense and detective work.

HOW ABOUT MOUNTAINS, LAKES, AND TRAILS?

If you prefer the mountains or the wilderness, you can find stories about
backpacking, camping, hiking, or canoeing. Try Are you Experienced? by
William Sutcliffe, which offers both the backpacking experience and the
setting in India. Trail of Murder, by Christine Andreae, is packed with
appeal for fans of the outdoors: trail riding on a wilderness camping trip
leads Lee Squires into a thrilling mystery. An idyllic canoeing trip in
Ontario can offer some gentle insights into human nature, in Summer Gone by
David MacFarlane.

HEAD 'EM UP

The West is both a place where you can take a vacation and a destination for
the vacation of the imagination. Explore Fiction can take you to lots of
places in the West, with a wide variety of plots and character. Click the
link to Explore Fiction under Browse Lists, and select the level you want
before clicking the CONTINUE button. Once you click on the Westerns link in
Explore fiction at the Adult level, you will find 47 different links to
lists of kinds of Westerns. If you've dreamed about signing on for one of
those dude cattle drives, you can try The Last Cattle Drive by Robert Day,
or one of many others listed under the "Cattle Drive" button. (Amazing how
one person's work can be another's vacation!)

SUMMARY

The concept of "Beach Reads" is many things to many people.  May all of you
have a relaxing and enjoyable summer full of great Beach Reads.  See you in
August!

------_=_NextPart_001_01C43E83.6B912EF2

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2><STRONG><FONT size=3D3>NoveList=20
Notes&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<SPAN=20
class=3D469140016-20052004>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</SPAN>May - June - July, 2004<BR></FONT></STRONG><EM>Please share by =
forwarding=20
to any other colleagues who would benefit from this=20
content.</EM></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><EM></EM>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial><STRONG>More Summer Reading =
Ideas</STRONG>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We let the theme of Lewis and Clark's =
Expedition=20
kick off some early summer reading planning in the April NoveList Note =
for=20
libraries trying to get their lists and displays ready for their summer =
programs=20
of discovery.&nbsp; As the busy month of May begins to wind down, as =
schools=20
begins to move towards their closing lesson plans, and as the days get =
longer=20
and sunnier and summer approaches, we felt a need to point out just a =
few more=20
summer reading ideas that NoveList can help you with as you move =
towards those=20
hazy days of summer.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One quick note about the NoveList =
Notes:&nbsp; We=20
will be taking a brief holiday ourselves this summer since the next =
issue of=20
NoveList Notes will not come out until mid-August.&nbsp; At that time, =
we'll be=20
ready to tell you about the new version of NoveList coming out this =
fall!&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>BEACH =
READS</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Beach Reads" is an all encompassing, =
wonderfully=20
charged phrase that describes that delicious experience of reading for =
pure=20
relaxation and enjoyment on vacation (at the beach, on a trip, etc). It =
also=20
implies reading during the carefree days of summer, further evoking =
feelings of=20
release and shall we say it, permission to read "whatever you feel like =
reading"=20
no matter what it is! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>NoveList can help you find your own =
personal list=20
of beach reads.&nbsp; Try this search:<BR>1. Access NoveList and click =
on the=20
START button.<BR>2. Click the Boolean Search link.<BR>3. Type in "Beach =
Read"=20
and click the SEARCH button.&nbsp; You should get about 30 hits. Browse =
through=20
(or have your reader browse through) the list to see if there are any =
titles of=20
interest.&nbsp; [Note that if you type in 'beach reads' plural you will =
only get=20
5 hits.]</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Or you can bring in some =
experts.&nbsp; Joyce=20
Saricks, nationally known readers' advisor, describes Beach Reads this =
way:=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"What makes a book a good summer read? =
To my mind=20
the main ingredient is that it be engrossing, a book I don't want to =
put down -=20
no matter how long the trip or how hot my surroundings. And I want it =
to be long=20
enough; I want to be able to sink my teeth into it, to participate with =
the=20
characters in their story. Whether we're looking for adventure, =
intrigue, or a=20
story of relationships in our romances, there's something here to take =
us away.=20
Even if we don't make it beyond the beach - or our own back porch - =
this summer,=20
these "beach books" will take us around the world, to other times and=20
places."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Check out her list, "Beach Reads" by =
Joyce Saricks,=20
by going to the New Search page in NoveList, scrolling down to the =
Feature=20
Articles link under Read About Popular Titles and Topics.&nbsp; Select =
the link=20
and then select Adult Literature - Seasonal Themes.&nbsp; Joyce's Beach =
Reads=20
article will be in this list.&nbsp; Please note that this article is =
not in=20
NoveList K-8.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You can find another Beach Reads list =
from Ann=20
Bouricius, our Romance contributor. Here is what she had to say about =
Beach=20
Reads:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"So what makes a terrific beach read? =
In my opinion=20
beach books need three qualities. They must be light, quickly-paced, =
and funny.=20
Though, when traveling with teenagers "funny" is not necessarily always =
a good=20
thing. Several years ago my sons and I were on an airplane. I was =
reading a book=20
by Jennifer Crusie and laughing so hard that my older son, 15 at the =
time,=20
hissed, "Mom, stop laughing! You're embarrassing me!""</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Check out her list, "The Very Best =
Beach Books" by=20
Ann Bouricius, by going to the New Search page, scrolling down to and =
clicking=20
the Feature Articles link and selecting Adult Literature - Romance to =
find Ann's=20
article.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>BEACH READS FOR OUR YOUNGER=20
READERS</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our younger readers enjoy their "beach =
reads" just=20
as much, and NoveList can help with those, as well.&nbsp; Like adults, =
young=20
adult readers have a variety of reading tastes and their interests are =
piqued by=20
a number of different influences.&nbsp; Try this search in either =
NoveList or=20
NoveList K-8:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. Access NoveList (or K-8) and click =
the START=20
button.<BR>2. Click the Boolean Search link (if you are in NoveList =
K-8, you=20
will need to click on the Teacher Resources button first to see the =
Boolean=20
Search link).<BR>3. Enter, "summer vacation", accept all fields, and =
select=20
young adult for the level.&nbsp; This will generate a rather long list =
of over=20
70 books, which may be longer than your reader wants to browse =
through.&nbsp; If=20
so, consider entering these searches, (travel and vacation, travel and =
summer,=20
beach and vacation) which yield shorter subsets of the above =
list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And don't forget about Explore =
Fiction.&nbsp; At=20
each of the Children's and Easy levels of Explore Fiction, there is a =
"Places to=20
Visit" subsection of lists that your child is sure to find interesting =
this=20
summer.&nbsp; To get there, go to either NoveList or NoveList K-8 and =
click the=20
START button, then select the Explore Fiction link.&nbsp; At the levels =
page,=20
select either Children's or Easy and click the Continue button.&nbsp; =
Scroll=20
down and select the Places link and then scroll down and select the =
Places to Go=20
link.&nbsp; You and your young reader can select the beaches or =
seashore links=20
to view a children's or easy "beach read" list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>SOME ADDITIONAL IDEAS FOR =
SUMMER=20
SEARCHES</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Have an exciting vacation planned this =

summer?&nbsp; Or, rather, you don't?&nbsp; Why not travel somewhere =
this summer=20
through a book?&nbsp; You can look for stories in specific places by =
using=20
Describe a Plot to enter the name of a location or region.&nbsp; Try =
"Great=20
Smoky Mountains" or "Great Lakes" or the name of a state or =
country.&nbsp; A=20
part of a country such as "Tuscany" works nicely as well.&nbsp; Make =
sure you=20
have the desired level(s) selected and any other limiters if you wish; =
then=20
click the SEARCH button.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>By this method, searching for =
"Tuscany," NoveList=20
will retrieve a list that includes Elizabeth Adler's Summer in Tuscany=20
(2002).&nbsp; Looking for "Great Smoky Mountains" will yield a list =
that=20
includes Evensong by Gail Godwin (1997).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Perhaps you would prefer to look for =
books set in a=20
more specific locale.&nbsp; For example, you might want to explore the =
National=20
Parks. They provide a myriad of possibilities.&nbsp; One writer =
well-known to=20
mystery fans is Nevada Barr, whose Anna Pigeon series visits a =
different=20
national part in each volume.&nbsp; From the West to the East to the =
South to=20
the North, we get behind-the-scenes tours of the different parks, along =
with=20
some good suspense and detective work.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR><STRONG>HOW ABOUT MOUNTAINS, =
LAKES, AND=20
TRAILS?</STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you prefer the mountains or the wilderness, you can find =
stories about=20
backpacking, camping, hiking, or canoeing. Try Are you Experienced? by =
William=20
Sutcliffe, which offers both the backpacking experience and the setting =
in=20
India. Trail of Murder, by Christine Andreae, is packed with appeal for =
fans of=20
the outdoors: trail riding on a wilderness camping trip leads Lee =
Squires into a=20
thrilling mystery. An idyllic canoeing trip in Ontario can offer some =
gentle=20
insights into human nature, in Summer Gone by David MacFarlane. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>HEAD 'EM UP</STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The West is both a place where you can take a vacation and a =
destination=20
for the vacation of the imagination. Explore Fiction can take you to =
lots of=20
places in the West, with a wide variety of plots and character. Click =
the link=20
to Explore Fiction under Browse Lists, and select the level you want =
before=20
clicking the CONTINUE button. Once you click on the Westerns link in =
Explore=20
fiction at the Adult level, you will find 47 different links to lists =
of kinds=20
of Westerns. If you've dreamed about signing on for one of those dude =
cattle=20
drives, you can try The Last Cattle Drive by Robert Day, or one of many =
others=20
listed under the "Cattle Drive" button. (Amazing how one person's work =
can be=20
another's vacation!)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>SUMMARY</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The concept of "Beach Reads" is many things to many people.&nbsp; =
May all=20
of you have a relaxing and enjoyable summer full of great Beach =
Reads.&nbsp; See=20
you in August!</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C43E83.6B912EF2--