[OPLINLIST] Museum and Library Day - May 3, 2005 in Indianapolis

Jane Byrnes Jbyrnes@sloma.state.oh.us
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:36:05 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C536BF.C1444F20

IMLS and AAM Host Museum and Library Day
May 3, 2005 at Annual Meeting in Indianapolis
ALA Members can receive a complimentary one-day pass
Washington, DC-The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and the
American Association of Museums (AAM) are proud to host the first-ever
Museum and Library Day at AAM's Annual Meeting & MUSEUMEXPO(tm) (May 1-5) on
Tuesday, May 3, 2005. American Library Association (ALA) members can receive
a complimentary one-day pass for Museum-Library Day to be held at the
Indiana Convention Center (Indianapolis) by contacting Antoinette Dixon via
e-mail: adixon@aam-us.org <mailto:adixon@aam-us.org> . Early registration is
encouraged (by April 8, 2005) as sessions are filling up fast.

"Encouraging partnerships between libraries and museums has been a focal
point of IMLS since passage of the Musuem and Library Services Act in 1996,"
said Dr. Robert S. Martin, Director of IMLS. "Over the years we have become
ever more convinced of the power of collaboration. Museum and Library Day at
the American Association of Museums Annual Meeting promises to inform
practice and spur innovation."
In partnership with AAM, three IMLS sessions will explore: innovative
collaborations between museums, libraries, and public broadcasting that
advance community goals; business planning for sustaining digital asset
management programs; and new partnership models that involve museums,
libraries, and other community organizations in creating effective learning
communities. AAM has also collaborated with the American Library Association
(ALA) to bring author and Poet Laureate of the State of Connecticut, Marilyn
Nelson for the keynote address at the general session on Museum and Library
Day.

Tuesday, May 3-Museum And Library Day At AAM Annual Meeting & MUSEUMEXPO(tm)

9:00 - 10:15 a.m.
Business Planning for Sustaining Cultural Heritage Collections
<http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=DETAILS&PROD
UCT_CODE=ANNMTG2005/N02>
This session will address strategies for the sustainability of digital asset
management programs in cultural heritage institutions; cover the business
planning template presented in the report, "Business Planning for Cultural
Heritage Institutions: A Framework and Resource Guide to Assist Cultural
Heritage Institutions with Business Planning for Sustainability of Digital
Asset Management Programs;" and follow a useful museum case study from the
report, including commentary by a museum expert.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m
General Session: Keynote Speaker Marilyn Nelson
<http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=DETAILS&PROD
UCT_CODE=ANNMTG05EV/GS02>
Marilyn Nelson is the author of six books of poetry, two children's
collections, and several chapbooks. Her work has appeared in numerous
anthologies and literary collections. She is the author of Carver: A Life in
Poems, which received the Newbery Honor and the Coretta Scott King Honor. In
2001, Nelson was named Poet Laureate for the State of Connecticut. Her
forthcoming children's book, A Wreath for Emmett Till, is a tribute to a boy
whose lynching helped ignite the Civil Rights Movement. Hailed as a vital
American voice, Nelson speaks of our past and present from her perspective
as a daughter, mother, wife, artist, teacher, friend, and African American.
In collaboration with the American Library Association

2:00 - 3:15 p.m.
Blending Cultures, Building Relationships: Museums, Libraries, and Public
Broadcasting

<http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=DETAILS&PROD
UCT_CODE=ANNMTG2005/N01> Leaders in museums, libraries, and public
broadcasting will draw on their own experiences to explore the
opportunities, challenges, and public value of collaborations among museums,
libraries and public broadcasting stations serving community and educational
goals. You'll benefit from specific strategies, tactics, and indicators for
successful collaboration, with a focus on the need to blend diverse
organizational cultures toward common goals. Then, you'll learn more about
the Partnership for a Nation of Learners, a multi-part grant-making,
professional development, and public awareness initiative supported through
a partnership between the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the
Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
Charting the Landscape/Mapping New Paths: Museums, Libraries and the K-12
Years - What do Learners Need?

<http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=DETAILS&PROD
UCT_CODE=ANNMTG2005/N03> "Charting the Landscape/Mapping New Paths: Museums,
Libraries & K-12," a 2004 workshop convened by the Institute of Museum and
Library Services, positioned learning as a community-wide responsibility
supported by a number of institutions, including museums, libraries, and
schools. Hear three leaders who participated in the workshop use their
respective vantage points from museums, libraries, and school reform to
present emerging visions of learning communities and the respective roles of
museums, libraries, schools, and other organizations. Participate in
audience discussion and debate, and hear recommendations on ways museums and
libraries can plan for expanded opportunities, and position themselves
within communities for greater public value.
For information about the entire American Association of Museums Annual
Meeting & MuseumExpo(tm) May 1-5, 2005 please access:
http://www.aam-us.org/am05 <http://www.aam-us.org/am05> .
For information about other IMLS sponsored sessions and sessions of interest
to libraries, please access:
http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/033105b.htm
<http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/033105b.htm>

Please note that AAM is providing complimentary one-day registration for
Museum and Library Day (Tuesday, May 3) only and not transportation or
housing.
ABOUT AAM
As the national service organization representing the American museum
community, the American Association of Museums addresses the needs of
museums to enhance their ability to serve the public. AAM disseminates
information on current standards and best practices and provides
professional development for staff to ensure that museums contribute to
public education in its broadest sense and protect and preserve our cultural
heritage. Since its founding in 1906, AAM has grown to more than 16,500
members, including more than 10,500 individual members, 2,700 corporate
members, and more than 3,200 museums. http://www.aam-us.org
<http://www.aam-us.org> .
ABOUT IMLS
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is an independent federal
grant-making agency dedicated to creating and sustaining a nation of
learners by helping libraries and museums serve their communities. The
Institute fosters leadership, innovation, and a lifetime of learning by
supporting the nation's 15,000 museums and 122,000 libraries. The Institute
also encourages partnerships to expand the educational benefit of libraries
and museums. To learn more about the Institute, please log on to
http://www.imls.gov <http://www.imls.gov> .

For more information contact:
Press Contacts
202/606-8339
Eileen Maxwell emaxwell@imls.gov <mailto:emaxwell@imls.gov>
Mamie Bittner mbittner@imls.gov <mailto:mbittner@imls.gov>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C536BF.C1444F20

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Museum and Library Day - May 3, 2005 in Indianapolis</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B>IMLS and AAM Host Museum and Library Day<BR>
May 3, 2005 at Annual Meeting in Indianapolis</B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><I>ALA Members can receive a complimentary one-day =
pass</I></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><I>Washington, DC-</I>The Institute of Museum and =
Library Services (IMLS) and the American Association of Museums (AAM) =
are proud to host the first-ever Museum and Library Day at AAM's Annual =
Meeting &amp; MUSEUMEXPO(tm) (May 1-5) on Tuesday, May 3, 2005. =
American Library Association (ALA) members can receive a complimentary =
one-day pass for Museum-Library Day to be held at the Indiana =
Convention Center (Indianapolis) by contacting Antoinette Dixon via =
e-mail: <A HREF=3D"mailto:adixon@aam-us.org"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">adixon@aam-us.org</FONT></U></A>. Early registration =
is encouraged (by April 8, 2005) as sessions are filling up fast.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;Encouraging partnerships between libraries and museums has been a =
focal point of IMLS since passage of the Musuem and Library Services =
Act in 1996," said Dr. Robert S. Martin, Director of IMLS. "Over the =
years we have become ever more convinced of the power of collaboration. =
Museum and Library Day at the American Association of Museums Annual =
Meeting promises to inform practice and spur innovation."</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>In partnership with AAM, three IMLS sessions will =
explore: innovative collaborations between museums, libraries, and =
public broadcasting that advance community goals; business planning for =
sustaining digital asset management programs; and new partnership =
models that involve museums, libraries, and other community =
organizations in creating effective learning communities. AAM has also =
collaborated with the American Library Association (ALA) to bring =
author and Poet Laureate of the State of Connecticut, Marilyn Nelson =
for the keynote address at the general session on Museum and Library =
Day.</P>
<BR>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><B>Tuesday, May 3-Museum And Library Day =
At</B><B></B><B> AAM</B><B></B><B> Annual Meeting</B><B></B><B> &amp; =
MUSEUMEXPO(tm)</B><BR>
<BR>
9:00 - 10:15 a.m.<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=3D=
DETAILS%26PRODUCT_CODE=3DANNMTG2005/N02"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">Business Planning for Sustaining Cultural Heritage =
Collections</FONT></U></A><BR>
This session will address strategies for the sustainability of digital =
asset management programs in cultural heritage institutions; cover the =
business planning template presented in the report, "Business Planning =
for Cultural Heritage Institutions: A Framework and Resource Guide to =
Assist Cultural Heritage Institutions with Business Planning for =
Sustainability of Digital Asset Management Programs;" and follow a =
useful museum case study from the report, including commentary by a =
museum expert.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=3D=
DETAILS%26PRODUCT_CODE=3DANNMTG05EV/GS02"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">General Session: Keynote Speaker Marilyn =
Nelson</FONT></U></A><BR>
Marilyn Nelson is the author of six books of poetry, two children's =
collections, and several chapbooks. Her work has appeared in numerous =
anthologies and literary collections. She is the author of Carver: A =
Life in Poems, which received the Newbery Honor and the Coretta Scott =
King Honor. In 2001, Nelson was named Poet Laureate for the State of =
Connecticut. Her forthcoming children's book, A Wreath for Emmett Till, =
is a tribute to a boy whose lynching helped ignite the Civil Rights =
Movement. Hailed as a vital American voice, Nelson speaks of our past =
and present from her perspective as a daughter, mother, wife, artist, =
teacher, friend, and African American. In collaboration with the =
American Library Association<BR>
<BR>
2:00 - 3:15 p.m.<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=3D=
DETAILS%26PRODUCT_CODE=3DANNMTG2005/N01"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">Blending Cultures, Building Relationships: Museums, =
Libraries, and Public Broadcasting<BR>
</FONT></U></A>Leaders in museums, libraries, and public broadcasting =
will draw on their own experiences to explore the opportunities, =
challenges, and public value of collaborations among museums, libraries =
and public broadcasting stations serving community and educational =
goals. You'll benefit from specific strategies, tactics, and indicators =
for successful collaboration, with a focus on the need to blend diverse =
organizational cultures toward common goals. Then, you'll learn more =
about the Partnership for a Nation of Learners, a multi-part =
grant-making, professional development, and public awareness initiative =
supported through a partnership between the Institute of Museum and =
Library Services and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. </P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>3:30 - 4:45 p.m.<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://www.aam-us.org/am05/searchsessions/index.cfm?fuseaction=3D=
DETAILS%26PRODUCT_CODE=3DANNMTG2005/N03"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">Charting the Landscape/Mapping New Paths: Museums, =
Libraries and the K-12 Years - What do Learners Need?<BR>
</FONT></U></A>"Charting the Landscape/Mapping New Paths: Museums, =
Libraries &amp; K-12," a 2004 workshop convened by the Institute of =
Museum and Library Services, positioned learning as a community-wide =
responsibility supported by a number of institutions, including =
museums, libraries, and schools. Hear three leaders who participated in =
the workshop use their respective vantage points<I></I><I></I> from =
museums, libraries, and school reform<I></I><I></I> to present emerging =
visions of learning communities and the respective roles of museums, =
libraries, schools, and other organizations. Participate in audience =
discussion and debate, and hear recommendations on ways museums and =
libraries can plan for expanded opportunities, and position themselves =
within communities for greater public value.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>For information about the entire American Association =
of Museums Annual Meeting &amp; MuseumExpo(tm) May 1-5, 2005 please =
access: <A HREF=3D"http://www.aam-us.org/am05"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">http://www.aam-us.org/am05</FONT></U></A>.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>For information about other IMLS sponsored sessions and =
sessions of interest to libraries, please access: <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/033105b.htm"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">http://www.imls.gov/whatsnew/current/033105b.htm</FONT=
></U></A><BR>
<BR>
<I></I><I>Please note that AAM is providing complimentary one-day =
registration for Museum and Library Day (Tuesday, May 3) only and not =
transportation or housing.</I></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><B>ABOUT AAM</B><BR>
As the national service organization representing the American museum =
community, the American Association of Museums addresses the needs of =
museums to enhance their ability to serve the public. AAM disseminates =
information on current standards and best practices and provides =
professional development for staff to ensure that museums contribute to =
public education in its broadest sense and protect and preserve our =
cultural heritage. Since its founding in 1906, AAM has grown to more =
than 16,500 members, including more than 10,500 individual members, =
2,700 corporate members, and more than 3,200 museums. <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.aam-us.org"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">http://www.aam-us.org</FONT></U></A>.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><B>ABOUT IMLS</B><BR>
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is an independent federal =
grant-making agency dedicated to creating and sustaining a nation of =
learners by helping libraries and museums serve their communities. The =
Institute fosters leadership, innovation, and a lifetime of learning by =
supporting the nation's 15,000 museums and 122,000 libraries. The =
Institute also encourages partnerships to expand the educational =
benefit of libraries and museums. To learn more about the Institute, =
please log on to <A HREF=3D"http://www.imls.gov"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">http://www.imls.gov</FONT></U></A>.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>For more information contact:</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><B>Press Contacts</B><BR>
202/606-8339<BR>
Eileen Maxwell <A HREF=3D"mailto:emaxwell@imls.gov"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#666699">emaxwell@imls.gov</FONT></U></A><BR>
Mamie Bittner <A HREF=3D"mailto:mbittner@imls.gov"><U><FONT =