[OPLINLIST] National Endowment for the Humanities Grant Opportunity

Jane Byrnes Jbyrnes@sloma.state.oh.us
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:27:38 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59125.020CFBF0

(please excuse cross-postings)

National Endowment for the Humanities <http://www.neh.gov/>

We are excited to announce a new grant opportunity offered by the Division
of Public Programs of the NEH called "Family and Youth Programs in American
History."  As part of the "We the People" initiative promoting the study and
understanding of American History, Family and Youth Programs grants support
collaborative humanities projects for young people that have a city-wide or
regional reach.  Working outside of the classroom, these programs will
incorporate primary documents and artifacts in a hands-on approach to
teaching children and young adults how history is made.  Programs might
include, for example,
*	a summer camp investigating American maritime history through
literature, folklore, maps and ships' logs;
*	a reading and discussion program involving teens as mentors for
younger readers that explores important African American writers of the 20th
century;
*	a neighborhood history project that pairs groups of young people
from diverse parts of a city or state to create walking tours, bus tours and
exhibitions documenting local history.

We would very much appreciate your help in spreading the word about this new
grant initiative to your affiliates and colleagues in the field.  Any
library-school, university, public, branch, etc.-that is a nonprofit
organization is eligible to apply.  Proposals will be accepted at our
upcoming September 16, 2005 deadline for Consultation and Planning Grants,
either of which can be designated Family and Youth projects.  More
information about these grants and others is available on our web site at:
http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/familyyouthprograms.html
<http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/familyyouthprograms.html> .

If you have a project you think might be eligible, we encourage you to call
a senior program officer discuss your ideas.  Please contact either Karen
Mittelman at (202) 606-8631 or kmittelman@neh.gov
<mailto:kmittelman@neh.gov>  or Thomas Phelps at (202) 606-8305 or
tphelps@neh.gov <mailto:tphelps@neh.gov> .

We look forward to hearing from you.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59125.020CFBF0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>National Endowment for the Humanities Grant Opportunity</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><A NAME=3D"OLE_LINK1"></A><A NAME=3D"OLE_LINK2">(please =
excuse cross-postings)</A></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><A HREF=3D"http://www.neh.gov/"><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" =
FACE=3D"Arial">National</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" =
FACE=3D"Arial"></FONT> <FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" =
FACE=3D"Arial">Endowment</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" =
FACE=3D"Arial"></FONT> <FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" =
FACE=3D"Arial">for</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Arial"></FONT> =
<FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Arial">the</FONT><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Arial"></FONT> <FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" =
FACE=3D"Arial">Humanities</FONT></A></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>We are excited to announce a new grant opportunity =
offered by the Division of Public Programs of the NEH called "Family =
and Youth Programs in American History."&nbsp; As part of the "We the =
People" initiative promoting the study and understanding of American =
History, Family and Youth Programs grants support collaborative =
humanities projects for young people that have a city-wide or regional =
reach.&nbsp; Working outside of the classroom, these programs will =
incorporate primary documents and artifacts in a hands-on approach to =
teaching children and young adults how history is made.&nbsp; Programs =
might include, for example, </P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Symbol">&#183;<FONT FACE=3D"Courier =
New">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></FONT> a summer camp =
investigating American maritime history through literature, folklore, =
maps and ships' logs;&nbsp;=20
<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Symbol">&#183;<FONT FACE=3D"Courier =
New">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></FONT> a reading and =
discussion program involving teens as mentors for younger readers that =
explores important African American writers of the 20<SUP>th</SUP> =
century;</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Symbol">&#183;<FONT FACE=3D"Courier =
New">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></FONT> a neighborhood =
history project that pairs groups of young people from diverse parts of =
a city or state to create walking tours, bus tours and exhibitions =
documenting local history.<I></I><I></I></P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>We would very much appreciate your help in spreading =
the word about this new grant initiative to your affiliates and =
colleagues in the field.&nbsp; Any library-school, university, public, =
branch, etc.-that is a nonprofit organization is eligible to =
apply.&nbsp; Proposals will be accepted at our upcoming September 16, =
2005 deadline for Consultation and Planning Grants, either of which can =
be designated Family and Youth projects.&nbsp; More information about =
these grants and others is available on our web site at: <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/familyyouthprograms.html"><=
U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#0000FF">http://www.neh.gov/grants/guidelines/familyyouthprogra=
ms.html</FONT></U></A>.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>If you have a project you think might be eligible, we =
encourage you to call a senior program officer discuss your =
ideas.&nbsp; Please contact either Karen Mittelman at (202) 606-8631 or =
<A HREF=3D"mailto:kmittelman@neh.gov"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#0000FF">kmittelman@neh.gov</FONT></U></A> or Thomas Phelps at =
(202) 606-8305 or <A HREF=3D"mailto:tphelps@neh.gov"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#0000FF">tphelps@neh.gov</FONT></U></A>.</P>

<P ALIGN=3DLEFT>We look forward to hearing from you.</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C59125.020CFBF0--