[OPLINLIST] on behalf of the Buckeye Book Fair board

Pamela Hickson - Stevenson hicksopa@mail.portagecounty.lib.oh.us
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:18:18 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Buckeye Authors' Book Fair, Inc.
July 25, 2005

WOOSTER, OHIO - After 18 years of operation, the Buckeye Book Fair, =
Ohio's premier single-day literary event, is taking a year off. Members =
of the Buckeye Book Fair Board of Trustees have made the decision to =
focus on the 2006 Fair and finding new funding sources, taking into =
consideration a number of factors, mostly financial, in reaching their =
decision.
The Buckeye Book Fair is operated by Buckeye Authors' Book Fair, Inc., a =
non-profit organization. Held on the first Saturday in November =
beginning in 1986, the Fair has brought together hundreds of authors and =
tens of thousands of avid readers to promote the cause of literacy.
 "After the conclusion of the 2004 Fair, it became apparent that our =
organization's financial resources were not sufficient to stage a Fair =
in 2005," says Reg Kramer, board president. "Our authors and customers =
have come to expect a high level of quality at this event, and we felt =
that it would not serve either our interests or those of our =
constituents to attempt a Fair in 2005 without the necessary resources =
in hand."
In addition to providing an event where readers can meet their favorite =
authors and purchase inscribed and signed copies of books, the Buckeye =
Book Fair funds literacy programs around the state. Grant applications =
are reviewed each year and, as a result, more than $190,000 has been =
donated to schools, libraries, and literacy programs since the Fair's =
inception. The grants are funded from the net proceeds from sale of =
books and related items at each year's Fair.
	In 2004, three factors converged to impact on the Fair's finances. =
"First, unusually warm and fair weather reduced the number of customers =
who attended the indoor event," says Kramer. "Second, sales of our books =
to libraries dropped dramatically, due to State-wide cuts in library =
funding. And third, 2003 saw the conclusion of our relationship with a =
long-standing corporate sponsor."
	The Board of Trustees of the Fair spent the first half of 2005 =
attempting to secure enough additional money via donations to operate a =
quality Fair and award literacy grants this year. "We did not obtain the =
additional sponsorships necessary to open the doors this year," says =
Alice Finley, Buckeye Book Fair Treasurer. "In Ohio's current economy, =
this has been a difficult time to look for new money." In spite of this, =
the Board of Trustees remains extremely optimistic about the future of =
the Fair and its resumption as a premier event in 2006.
Board members cite a number of assets that support its belief that the =
Fair remains viable. A dedicated group of more than 100 volunteers =
assists in the operation of each Fair, and volunteer interest has not =
waned. A devoted Steering Committee works year round. Authors =
consistently report positive experiences at the Fair, and author and =
publisher submissions remain high. Finally, a loyal customer base =
continues to create long lines at author tables and at check-outs on the =
day of the Fair.
	"We wrestled with this decision for a good while," concludes Kramer. =
"In the end, we realized that time off in 2005 could give us the =
opportunity to review and re-tool the Fair's operation while searching =
for additional long-term sponsors or partners. We have every reason to =
believe that we can return in 2006 with a Buckeye Book Fair that this =
community can be proud to host and support."
	Suggestions and comments can be addressed to the Buckeye Book Fair, 205 =
West Liberty Street, Wooster, Ohio 44691, or via e-mail =
(bbfmgr@woosterbook.com <mailto:bbfmgr@woosterbook.com>), or by calling =
(330-262-3244).

Pamela J. Hickson-Stevenson, Director
Portage County District Library