[OPLINLIST] Notary Service

Stef Baird bairdst@oplin.org
Tue, 10 May 2005 13:20:58 -0400

Thanks to all who replied to my query regarding notary service at your
library.  Several people requested that I post a summary of the answers I
received.

    Notary service is free in every case mentioned, although one respondent
did mention that often times patrons do "tip" for the             service.

    Libraries generally pay for the commission and supplies necessary to
perform the service.

    One library mentions notary service on its website, most others say the
service is available if patrons ask, but not advertised.

    Two libraries encourage patrons to call ahead to make sure a notary is
available before coming to the library.

    One librarian stated that notaries at her library do not do wills as per
the recommendation of the Notary Association (should be         done by
lawyers and in lawyers offices because of potential problems with wills,
etc.)

    Patrons should be required to bring a picture id.

    Items must not be signed ahead of time.

    One librarian noted that the notarries at her library keep a record of
what they notarize.

    Several respondents noted that their libraries do not have a written
policy regarding notary service.  No respondent said that his/her
library did have a written notary policy.

    One library did offer notary sevice but discontinued the service for
several reasons.  The foremost reason for cancelling the
service was the fact that people did not understand that they were not
supposed to sign paperwork before it was notarized and         were "vocally
upset" when they found out.

    Thanks again to all who responded.

    Stef Baird