[OPLINLIST] CRANES FOR PEACE information

Ruth Metcalf RMETCALF at sloma.state.oh.us
Mon Nov 14 15:06:32 EST 2005

To all Ohio Children's Librarians,

Below is a message about a CRANES FOR PEACE project which might be of
interest to some of you. I thought I would let you know about this very
worthwhile project.

Sincerely,

Ruth A. Metcalf

Library Consultant

State Library of Ohio

614-644-6910

rmetcalf at sloma.state.oh.us

Cranes for Peace

The Cranes for Peace Project is inspired by the true story of Sadako
Sasaki, a young victim of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima. Sadako was only
two years old when the bomb fell and seemed to be unharmed, but at
twelve she was diagnosed with leukemia, an aftermath of the bomb's
effects. With boundless optimism she took an old story to heart: a sick
person who folds a thousand paper cranes will be granted her wish.  As
she folded cranes, everyone who heard of her efforts joined in and
folded cranes to help her.  Near the end of her life Sadako realized
that her wish had changed from wishing to get well to wishing for world
peace.

School children throughout Japan collected coins to create Sadako's
monument, which was dedicated in the Hiroshima Peace Park in 1958.
Inscribed at the base of the statue is the wish: This is our cry, this
is our prayer, Peace in the world.  Each year more than two million
cranes are sent from all over the world to be placed at the base of the
monument.

Cranes for Peace Project

Sponsored by the Phoenix Theatre for Children, the Cranes for Peace
project would like to have folded, in December, as many cranes for peace
as we can manage as a symbol of hope and commitment to peace and
non-violence within our own communities.

How to Participate

Contact RJ Sontag <mailto:rjsontag at thephoenixonline.org>  or Lonelle
Yoder <mailto:lyoder at thephoenixonline.org>  before December at (614)
464-9400 to receive:

*	A recommended reading list
*	Instructions for folding paper cranes
*	Display ideas for your Cranes for Peace
*	Suggestions for continuing the Cranes for Peace project

What a beautiful sight and what a great way to celebrate the spirit of
the season, to see Cranes for Peace displayed in our communities.