[OPLINLIST] Legal guardianship

Gary Simon GSIMON at libraryvisit.org
Mon Nov 28 13:30:37 EST 2005

Our Library policy requires that, for juvenile patrons to use the
internet computers or borrow certain adult materials, a parent or legal
guardian must register their approval by signing the child's library
card application.  We have come to realize that non-parent family
members and youth home counselors will claim to be the legal guardian of
a minor without understanding the legal definition of the position.

If your library also specifies "legal guardian" in your policy, do you
require proof of a legal guardianship claim?  Has anyone done any
research to determine what kind of documentation might be reasonably
requested?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Gary Simon
Manager, Technical & Automation Services
Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County
305 Wick Ave.
Youngstown, Ohio  44503
Telephone:  330-744-8636
Fax:  330-744-2258