[OPLINLIST] What's New on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:34:45 -0400

What's New on NetWellness - October 14, 2005

October's Feature:  Let's Talk about Prescriptions

October is national "Let's talk about prescriptions" month.

Managing medications can be complicated, particularly if you are taking
several, and treating different conditions.  The NetWellness health
topic Pharmacy and Medications has information on reactions with
over-the counter drugs, managing prescriptions, talking to your
pharmacist and doctor and much more.=20

New Resource: Health Information Translations

If you or someone you know is in need of health information written in a
language other than English, you may find what you are looking for in a
new link we have added to our Reference Library.  Health Information
Translations is a collaborative initiative for limited English
proficiency patients provided by Mount Carmel Health System, OSU Medical
Center, and Ohio Health.  Although intended as a teaching tool for
health care professionals, it is a valuable resource for diverse
communities speaking African French, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean,
Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Ukrainian.  The English version appears
first, followed by the translations.  Watch for additional topics to be
added; you can also offer your comments and suggestions.=20

Sleep on it - a new series of articles

NetWellness Expert, Dennis Auckley, MD, of the Center for Sleep Medicine

MetroHealth Medical Center , Case Western Reserve University has
authored a new series of articles on Sleep Disorders.  Included is the
Sleep Disorders Overview, and pieces on Narcolepsy, Jet Lag, and the
Rules of Sleep Hygiene.  You can find these and other related articles
in the Sleep Disorders health topic.

New articles on Genes and the Family Tree

NetWellness Expert, Anne Matthews, R.N., Ph.D., of the Center for Human
Genetics,  School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University has
revised a series of articles on genetics.  You can learn more about
Genes: The Body's Blueprint, Genetic Disorders, Frequently Asked
Questions About Genetic Counseling, and The Family Tree (Pedigree).  You
can find these articles and other information in the NetWellness health
topic Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects.

Autism: New Expert!

Patricia H. Cloppert, BS, Faculty Parent Advocate at The Ohio State
University Nisonger Center, has joined the Autism Ask an Expert team.
Her role at the Nisonger Center has been to provide a family perspective
on developmental disabilities and advocacy issues in graduate seminars
and in interdisciplinary clinical settings.   She has also presented on
Asperger Syndrome, parental involvement in special education planning,
transition issues for families of young adults with disabilities, and
postsecondary education and autism spectrum disorders.

Expanded Lung and Respiratory Diseases Team

NetWellness welcomes faculty from the Division of Pulmonary and Critical
Care,  Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine and Public
Health at The Ohio State University, who will be joining the Lung and
Respiratory Diseases Ask an Expert team.  Bringing their expertise to
this topic are James N. Allen, Jr., MD, Professor, Professor; Nitin Y.
Bhatt, MD, Assistant Professor; Elliott D. Crouser, MD, Assistant
Professor; Clay B. Marsh, MD, Professor, Division Director; David
Nunley, MD, Associate Professor; James M. O'Brien, Jr., MD, Assistant
Professor; Amy L. Pope-Harman, MD, Assistant Professor; Mark D. Wewers,
MD, Professor; Jeff E. Weiland, MD, Associate Professor; and Karen L.
Wood, MD, Assistant Professor. Their specialty interests include
interstitial lung disease, critical care medicine, lung transplantation,
Sarcoidosis, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, asthma, and complications
due to malignancies and bone marrow transplantation.  They join
colleagues from the University of Cincinnati in this Ask an Expert
forum.

New Article on Emphysema

Nearly 3 million Americans suffer from emphysema, a disease of the lungs
that makes breathing progressively more difficult. Phillip T. Diaz, MD,
Associate Professor and Mahasti Rittinger, RRT, Clinic Coordinator, both
of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Internal
Medicine, College of Medicine and Public Health at The Ohio State
University have written a new article that outlines treatment options,
both surgical and non-surgical.  Read Emphysema Treatment to find out
about lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) and other ways to manage
emphysema.

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): New Topic/Experts!

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), COPD is the fourth
leading cause of death in the U.S. and is projected to be the third
leading cause of death for both males and females by the year 2020.  To
help you find the latest information regarding this significant health
concern, NetWellness has opened a new topic on Chronic Obstructive
Pulmonary Disease.  Answering your questions in this are Phillip T.
Diaz, MD, Associate Professor and Mahasti Rittinger, RRT, Clinic
Coordinator, both of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care,
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine and Public Health
at The Ohio State University.  =20

New Article on Preparedness

Hopefully you won't be faced with an extended power outage any time
soon, but if you are, you will be thankful if you have taken the time to
plan ahead.  To help you be prepared for such an event, Sharron Coplin,
MS, RD, LD, Extension Associate, Food & Nutrition, College of Human
Ecology, OSU Extension at The Ohio State University has written an
article, appropriately titled Make Food Plan Now for Emergencies.
You'll find great ideas for stocking your pantry so you can prepare
nutritious meals if (when) the lights go out.

It's our Tenth anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing=20

As we near our tenth year on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes
about how NetWellness is helping our users meet their health information
needs. Do you have any stories or experiences you would like to share?
If so, please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them.=20
And don't forget, we are always trying to improve to meet your needs.
What do we do well? What can we do to better fit your needs? Send your
comments through our Feedback and we'll get them into the right hands.
Thanks again for using NetWellness!=20

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty
at the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and
The Ohio State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of
the first health information sites on the Internet.=20