[OPLINLIST] Rowdy kids in force--

Alison J. Gibson gibsonal@oplin.org
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:56:00 -0400

Hello Oplinlisters--

    I'm open to suggestions on civil but effective methods of handling
small 'gangs' of 8-15 early to late teenagers that have started to hang
out at the library, and it isn't to read.  We've politely informed them
of the rules of behavior, we've asked them for i.d. (amazingly, they are
all orphaned Jane and John Does without a home...)--unfortunately, we
don't know their names.  I've talked to the police and they are willing
to stop in occasionally, but it's a rough crowd we haven't dealt with
before.    They intimidate younger kids, and I've had adults look
concerned.  Also, although I can't prove that they are the culprits,
we've had petty thefts of supplies  since they've started coming in.
 Asking/telling them to leave only gets you flip answers and they'll go
out one door only to come in on another floor. Offering them activities
is laughed at-- Sigh. So, what has worked for you?  I can hope it is a
moon phase and they will tire of it, but I'm losing patrons and patience
in the meantime.

Thanks for your time--
Alison Gibson
Union Township Public Library