[OPLINLIST] Pandemic Flu Newsletter

Ashlee Clark Aclark at sloma.state.oh.us
Thu Aug 3 16:39:31 EDT 2006

Nick Baird, the Director of the Ohio Department of Health has released
his first newsletter that will keep interested persons up-dated on
pandemic flu.  If you are interested in receiving future editions of Dr.
Baird's quarterly newsletter there are instructions on how to receive
it.

To My Colleagues and Friends at the Ohio Department of Health (ODH):

Ever since we redoubled our pandemic influenza planning in late 2005,
you've heard our national partners say one thing consistently: States
must prepare at the state level because the federal government won't
come riding in like the cavalry to save the day.

And since this time, our local partners have heard ODH say one thing
consistently: Local communities must prepare locally because the state
won't come riding in like the cavalry to save the day.

That's because we cannot. Unlike the 2004 outbreak of gastrointestinal
illness on Ottawa County's South Bass Island - which affected a specific
area of the state - a pandemic by definition will be worldwide in
nature. Because all areas of Ohio will be impacted simultaneously or in
rapid succession, ODH will simply be unable to be all places at all
times.

But that doesn't mean the State of Ohio or Ohioans in local communities
are on their own. Just as the federal government is assisting states in
preparing for a potential influenza pandemic, ODH and local health
departments are helping all sectors of society prepare for a potential
influenza pandemic.

In fact, ODH, Governor Bob Taft and U.S. Health and Human Services
Secretary Mike Leavitt hosted a pandemic influenza planning summit in
Columbus in February for more than 600 state and local partners; ODH
staff have traveled around the state helping local communities and
health departments develop pandemic influenza plans; and ODH and its
partners at the Governor's office, the State of Ohio Security Task Force
(SOSTF), the Ohio Emergency Management Agency and the Ohio departments
of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Public Safety launched a
comprehensive Web site at: http://www.ohiopandemicflu.gov to help
facilitate planning.

But wait - there's more.

While ODH has had a pandemic influenza response plan in place since
2004, it is continually updated as the global situation evolves. The
plan will guide the state's response to a human influenza pandemic.
These efforts are conducted in concert with our Ohio Department of
Agriculture partners, who will lead the state's response to any
outbreaks of bird flu in Ohio - including outbreaks of H5N1 avian
influenza, which some experts fear could spark the next human influenza
pandemic.

And that's not all.

SOSTF, under the direction of Ohio Department of Public Safety Director
Kenneth Morckel, is working with state partners, health care providers
both public and private, elected officials, utilities, businesses and
Ohio residents to ensure we are as prepared as possible when the first
pandemic of the 21st century emerges.

This week, another planning tool - a pandemic influenza e-newsletter -
makes its debut. And if you contact us now at
http://www.ohiopandemicflu.gov- that's http://www.ohiopandemicflu.gov-
this too can be yours at no cost.

And you don't even have to pay shipping and handling.

Available free by online subscription only, the inaugural edition
contains general information about pandemic influenza. Subsequent
editions will be issued quarterly by e-mail - the next round is slated
for October - and each edition will be geared toward one of four key
segments of society: businesses, schools, faith-based organizations and
nonprofits. A combined newsletter will also be available for those
interested in all four aspects of community planning.

There is no obligation - you can cancel at any time.

Moriah Needham, Office of Public Affairs (OPA), edits the newsletters
for businesses and schools; Sara Morman, OPA, edits the newsletters for
faith-based organizations and nonprofits.

The inaugural edition will be sent to subscribers' e-mail addresses this
week. It features a primer on pandemic influenza; highlights best
practices at the Ohio-based Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company; spotlights
ODH's pandemic flu Speakers Bureau; and lists upcoming events.

In the event of a pandemic, antiviral medication may be in short supply.
Vaccines will not be available for several months after it begins. But
good information is and will be available in ample supply. Take
advantage of it. It's valuable.

In the meantime, please be sure to visit Ohio's pandemic influenza
planning Web site often for important resources such as planning
checklists, fact sheets, news and updates on the global H5N1 bird flu
situation. And please be sure to subscribe to ODH's pandemic influenza
newsletters and encourage your friends and loved ones to do the same. As
of Tuesday, some 150 folks have subscribed and we expect many more in
the months to come.

Happy reading,

Nick