[OPLINLIST] Remote access with zip codes

Don Yarman yarmando at oplin.org
Mon Aug 14 12:49:06 EDT 2006

Ohio library community--

The OPLIN staff has been developing a new option for authenticating
home users to statewide databases.  If our script recognizes that the
user's IP address is in Ohio, we will ask the user to enter her zip
code.  (If the IP address is not one that our database places in Ohio,
then the standard "Enter your library card number" screen will appear).
These zip code session stats will be available for libraries to see.

This will only affect statewide subscriptions and OPLIN's authentication
scripts.  If your library uses OPLIN authentication to provide remote
access to additional databases beyond the statewide collection (for
example, HeritageQuest or eLibrary) users will be asked for a library
card number to get to those resources.

We have begun testing this script in the production environment, and
are monitoring it closely  If you lose access to subscriptions or notice
odd behavior, please contact the OPLIN Support Center immediately,
888-966-7546 or support at oplin.org.

      Your most humble and obedient servant,

                                  Don Yarman
                                  yarmando at oplin.org | AIM: yarmando