[OPLINLIST] Scheduling

doug.anderson@cacl.info doug.anderson at cacl.info
Thu Aug 17 12:58:18 EDT 2006

If you have a Gmail account that the library staff can all have access to,
then you can use Google Calendar (http://calendar.google.com/).  It's a
beta version, and so it has a few bugs -- printing doesn't work very well,
for instance -- but I have found it very easy to use for scheduling in my
department.  We don't currently use it at ACDL for meeting room
scheduling, but I imagine it would work well for that.

If you like, to cover your two separate meeting rooms, you could set up
two different calendars with the same account, each one color-coded, on
the web version.  (The print version will print only in black and white at
present.)

The calendar can even be made publicly viewable, if you are so inclined,
or set up so that only people who know the password can view it.  (One
reason you may not want it publicly viewable might be if you have concerns
about the privacy of the people booking the room.)

One downside might be that any time your Internet connection is down, you
would not have live access to the calendar.

If you don't have a Gmail account, but would like one so you can
experiment with Google Calendar to see if you'd like it, I would be happy
to send you an invite to join Gmail.

-- Doug Anderson

--
Reference Coordinator