[OPLINLIST] New Name for MORE

Eric Anderson eric at wiredlibrarian.com
Fri Aug 25 21:24:19 EDT 2006

As a long time lurker, allow me to share a couple of thoughts about "names"
and "interlibrary loan".

While at the State Library of Iowa in 1984 I was tasked with creating a
union "catalog" (albeit title/author/ subject) interlibrary loan tool to be
used with a communication tool (intended to replace the teletype system in
place) to expedite the process of interloan between the 17 "resource"
libraries and the vibrant library systems which filtered loans to their
members.  The State Librarian at the time, Claudya (I survived five years in
Cleveland) Mueller was thrilled I chose CD-ROM (when the only drivers were
Brower Murphy's shareware) as the data format and a Mac based communications
tool with an Apple Works (hey Excel hadn't even come out for the Mac yet)
data base to be used with modems.

Working on the project drafts late at night, I had the tube on and an "I
Love Lucy" rerun came on.  Immediately the tools were named "Fred" and
"Ethel".  Ethel always told Fred to go to the basement to find something,
and Fred always knew where it was and returned with same.  God or Allah (or
insert any deity you choose) couldn't have created a more beautiful name.
The rest of the office staff immediately took to it, and most of the
statewide committee (can librarians do anything without a committee?) warmed
to it. We trucked (due respect to the Dead) right along with it until CM
became aware of the moniker we chose.  In less than an hour the name was
changed to the "Iowa Locator".  Only with a long time in recovery have I
learned to accept this crushing turn of events. I guess I should have been
happy that it wasn't "The Iowa Locator".

"More" or "Less"; "Borrow" or "Steal" or "Beg" if you have to, but for
whoever's sake pour your efforts into building a user friendly tool because
it is all too apparent that many of you continue to ignore Thomas Ballard's
brilliant tome "The Failure of Resources Sharing" (ALA, 1986).  Perhaps that
should be required reading of anyone suggesting a name?

Shanti, from the bomb plant

Eric S. Anderson
Micro Libraries
297 Hammertown Road, Jackson OH 45640