[OPLINLIST] Fines accruing to a $5.00 limit per item vs. to the cost of the item

Marlene Pelyhes mpl_marlenep at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 13:06:57 EST 2006

Hello,

  We had a suggestion to change our fines policy to accrue to 100% of the cost of the item.  Currently our fines accrue up to a $5.00 limit per item.

  Has anyone had experience with having the fines accrue longer.  I wonder if it will just lead to more lost items never returned as was the case with Philadelphia Free Library in the following article.

  http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/13569464.htm

  Please respond to me off list.

  Thanks,
  Marlene Pelyhes