[OPLINLIST] Interested in your policy on calling patrons long distance for Holds, Overdue Notices

Marlene Pelyhes mpl_marlenep at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 18:21:04 EST 2006

Hello,

  If you have a chance could you email me your library's policy on telephoning patrons long distance for Holds, Overdue Notices and Final Notices?

  We have many patrons with cell phone numbers outside our local calling area - they move to Mentor and keep their contracts on their out of town cell phones - or - they commute to Mentor for work, but their home phone numbers are local long distance.  Our current policy is to US Mail the notices - however this is more costly with the recent increase in postage, also, it keeps items on the hold shelf longer as sometimes mail is slow.  Of course email is best, but many of our patrons opt out of that option.

  I wonder how other libraries handle these situations - I realize anyone in Ohio can register for a library card in any library as we are state funded - however, as we curb services to local patrons in our service districts when levies fail - at what cost can we continue to give optimal service to patrons outside our service districts?

  Thanks,
  Marlene Pelyhes, IT Manager
  Mentor Public Library
  440 255 8811