[OPLINLIST] Virginia Hamilton Conference on Multicultural Literature for Youth---REGISTER!

Rhonda Filipan rfilipan at slis.kent.edu
Thu Mar 23 14:03:47 EST 2006

THE VIRGINIA HAMILTON CONFERENCE
ON MULTICULTURAL LITERATURE FOR YOUTH

 22 years and still reading!  The 22nd Annual Virginia Hamilton
Conference on Multicultural Literature for Youth will be held on
Thursday, April 6 & Friday, April 7, 2006 at the Kent State University
Student Center.  The conference provides a forum for discussion of
multicultural themes and issues in literature for children and young
adults.  This year's conference "Finding Our Way..." features Chris
Crutcher and Marilyn Nelson.  The conference will continue with its
expanded format - our Thursday evening program will feature a keynote
address by the 8th Annual Virginia Hamilton Literary Award winner, Allen
Say, a performance, an autograph session and a dessert reception.  On
Friday, a variety of local and national speakers will present workshop
sessions on writing for young people, young adult novels for boys,
selecting multicultural literature for children and teaching the
"Underground Railroad".  Friday's conference agenda will again include a
"conversation" session with the three featured presenters. In addition,
the recipients of the "Virginia Hamilton and Arnold Adoff Creative
Outreach Grant for Teachers and Librarians" will be announced.  Register
early--the conference reaches capacity quickly!  To register, contact
the College of Continuing Studies at (330) 672-3100 or (800) 672-KSU2.
Or register via our Web site: kentstatecontinuinged.com.  For more
information visit the conference Web site:
http://www.kent.edu/virginiahamiltonconf

--
Rhonda S. Filipan, M.A., M.L.S.
Academic Program Coordinator