[OPLINLIST] Attn: Local History & Genealogy Departments

Becky Hill bhill at rbhayes.org
Wed Sep 6 13:02:49 EDT 2006

The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center hosts an award-winning web site
that you can be a part of.  We would like to extend an invitation for you to
join 36 other Ohio Public Libraries and become a partner in the Hayes
Obituary Index, www.rbhayes.org/index.

The Hayes Presidential Center will be demonstrating its Obituary Index at
the Ohio Library Council’s 2006 Expo in Columbus on Friday, September 15th.
http://www.olc.org/exhibitors.asp . I will be there to greet old friends who
are currently partners and encourage other libraries to join us in this
online index of newspaper obituaries and other items, such as local history
collections of clippings, wills and estates, funeral records, etc.

Why re-invent the wheel and tax your own too-busy Technology Department when
we already have done the work, created a very user-friendly interface, and
attracted millions of viewers? Started in 2000, the web-based Index
currently receives almost 800,000 hits a month, is cited as a valuable
genealogical tool in books and referred to by over 200 other web sites. At
this time, we have over 800,000 names in the database from Fremont to
Marietta and citations to over 1.5 million newspaper sources. The Hayes
Obituary Index received the 2003 Technology Excellence Award given by the
New England Historic Genealogical Society.

For $1500, a public library or historical society can join the Hayes
partnership, receive training on how to enter their data, and start
inputting their names into the web-based system.  The only other charge is
an annual fee of $200 for website maintenance and quality control. After the
first year, the library only pays the $200 annual fee. For an additional
fee, some of our partner libraries have imported their own databases into
our system and saved the re-keying expense.

Check to see if your Library Director, other staff member or you will be
attending the OLC 2006 Expo and stop by booth #215 to see the Hayes Obituary
Index and the administrative side of the database in action.  We will also
be distributing CD-ROMS of Rutherford B. Hayes: Citizen, Soldier, President
for $5.00 (cost) to anyone who comes by the booth.
http://www.rbhayes.org/hayes/store/details.asp?did=811.  If you have any
questions before or after, please contact me at bhill at rbhayes.org or
800-998-7737.

Sincerely