[OPLINLIST] Community Play--I REMEMBER MAMA--To Be Performed in McArthur

Erick C. Walker walkerer at oplin.org
Wed Apr 4 21:58:49 EDT 2007

Friends' Community Players to present I Remember Mama

The Friends' Community Players-the performance arts wing of the Friends of the Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library, Inc.-will present the play I Remember Mama during Cherishing Family: A Spring Literary Arts Festival in McArthur, Ohio on Saturday, April 14.

I Remember Mama is a Rodgers and Hammerstein play based on the book Mama's Bank Account in which Kathryn Forbes recalled her childhood and her Norwegian immigrant mother. The Friends' Community Players, consisting of local residents with an array of acting experience, will debut their skills with a single performance of this heartwarming story.

Director Penni Alzayer said the story features many common themes that are relatable to most people. "A lot of people remember growing up in families like these and a lot of people have grandparents and great-grandparents who were immigrants. Families can relate to the tiny little woman at the center of this family who dispenses homespun wisdom and to Papa who is very respectful of the dreams of his children," she said.

Alzayer said the play features a cast of nearly 30 and that she is pleased with the cast they have built from Friends of the Library volunteers. "Our casting is perfect. We have some Friends' volunteers with dramatic training and some who have never been on stage before. But it all comes together so well. They work together so well that you wouldn't know they have never worked together before," Alzayer explained.

She called the play "lighthearted and fun" and hopes that this production will spark interest in greater community support of local theatre through the Friends of the Library.

The play-which is free and open to the public-will begin at 7:30 p.m. on April 14. Making the event a traditional dinner theater, Sojourners, a local youth development program, will offer a gourmet dinner on-site for a fee beginning at 5:30 p.m. For additional information about the dinner, please contact Sojourners at (740) 596-1117.

Cherishing Family: A Spring Literary Arts Festival is sponsored by the Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library and the Friends of the Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library, Inc., in McArthur, Ohio. The festival opens at 1 p.m. on

Friday, April 13, 2007 and the last event will commence at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 15, 2007.

All events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact the library

at 740-596-5691 or www.vintoncountypublic.lib.oh.us.