[OPLINLIST] Ohio Obituary Index

Becky Hill bhill at rbhayes.org
Tue Apr 10 14:37:15 EDT 2007

Ohio Obituary Index Hits One Million Names

Doing your family history in Ohio?  Want to check on more than ONE MILLION
names at once to see if your ancestor had an obituary?  Try the Obituary
Index of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center  -
www.rbhayes.org/index.  With the addition of Clark County Public Library’s
150,000 names in April 2007, the Hayes Index has gone well over 1,200,000
total of indexed obituaries and other sources.  Thirty-nine public libraries
of Ohio and the Hayes Presidential Library are entering data every day into
the web-based Index from newspapers from the very earliest 1800’s from
Marietta, Ohio to yesterday’s papers from Wapakoneta. The partner libraries
are listed on the top page of the index below the search boxes.

To find an ancestor, simply type in your last name, first name optional, in
the basic search page and see what comes up.  Or to be thorough go to the
search for your last name as a spouse’s name and maiden name and bring up
even more hits.

If you find a lot of names and want to make a list that can be sorted by
name or by newspaper, you can set up an online Notebook by registering and
then adding the newspaper citations that you want into it.  The notebook can
be printed out and taken to the library where you plan to do research.

Perhaps you would like to find other people who are working on your
ancestor.  There is a feature called “Add Post-em” which appears at the
bottom of the Record Detail page of a person.  This allows you to leave a
note about that individual.  We have hundreds of Post-ems with contact
information, additional information and even the text of the obit entered.

For further information on either feature, click on

http://www.rbhayes.org/hayes/content/files/library_obits/new_features.doc

Although called the Obituary Index, it is really a local history name index.
The system indexes a variety of sources besides obituaries, including
marriage announcements, wills and estates, funeral home records, history
books, cemetery records and scrapbooks.

The online Obituary Index has been in existence since 2000 and currently
gets about 800,000 hits a month from all over the world.

The Hayes Presidential Center is still accepting new partners from Ohio
libraries.  Please contact Becky Hill, Head Librarian,  bhill at rbhayes.org ,
800-998-7737 for further information.

The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center is located at the corner of
Hayes and Buckland avenues in Fremont, Ohio.  The facility is affiliated
with the Ohio Historical Society. Consult the Center’s web site for further
information about the Library, Museum and historic home –
http://www.rbhayes.org  Web design and hosting is by WGTE Public
Broadcasting .

Rebecca B. Hill
Head Librarian
Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
Spiegel Grove
Fremont, OH 43420-2796

419-332-2081   ext. 31
419-332-4952 (fax)
bhill at rbhayes.org <mailto:bhill at rbhayes.org>
www.rbhayes.org <http://www.rbhayes.org>

“I have an attack of genealogical mania. It came on about ten days ago,
superinduced by reading a family tree which a friend sent me. It is in a
violent form but I trust it will soon abate. I have got up into the Cooke
tree and am lost. Can you help me out?" Rutherford B. Hayes to “Uncle Scott”
Cooke, March 4, 1870