[OPLINLIST] RSS Feeds: The Future of Information Delivery - an eClassroom Experience in Blue Ash, Ohio

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Feb 8 08:22:40 EST 2007

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
Please forward this message to all interested parties.
*

  RSS Feeds: The Future of Information Delivery, Part 1
  A Simultaneous e-Classroom Experience
  <http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=1029>

Information workers depend on easy access to timely, relevant
information, but current methods of finding information, such as asking
the librarian, searching the Web or internal Web pages, going to premium
content providers' sites, or subscribing to e-mail newsletters, are not
without problems. Furthermore, content is often siloed, e-mail inboxes
are overflowing, and users are reluctant to learn new technologies. As a
result, many companies suffer from a number of problems, including the
following:

* Information overload
* Lost productivity
* Diminished customer service
* Overtaxed library and information resources staff

RSS has emerged as an alternative delivery platform because the user
gets only relevant content, is notified automatically when new content
arrives, and is not required to learn new technologies. With more than
50 million blogs and with the vast majority of news sites and premium
content providers publishing in RSS, most of the content your
stakeholders rely on is available in this format. With centrally
administered "enterprise RSS" systems, librarians and other
administrators can act on behalf of users and subscribe them to content
automatically. This Click U Live! seminar will help you quickly get up
to speed with RSS, understand the primary use cases, build an internal
business case for it, and learn best practices in deploying it.

*Part 1*

In part 1 of this Click U Live! seminar, we will look at the problems
with current information delivery mechanisms and contrast them with RSS.
Next, we will highlight the various sources of RSS content. We will also
discuss the differences between individual RSS readers and centrally
managed systems. Finally, we will illustrate several use cases at a
variety of organizations.

*/Critical Learning Questions/*

* What is RSS and how does it differ from other content delivery mechanisms?
* What are the primary use cases for RSS in my organization?
* What content is available in RSS format?
* Where does it make sense to consider an enterprise RSS solution as
opposed to individual-use RSS readers?
* What are the main drivers for ensuring a successful RSS project?

Like what you see? Be sure to join us for Part 2
<http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=1030> of this workshop on
March 21st.

      Date

Wednesday, March 7th, 2007

      Time

2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

      Location

SWON Libraries Office

      Speaker(s)

Todd Berkowitz
<http://sla.learn.com/learncenter.asp?id=178409&sessionid=3-A711B007-5E49-4BED-ACCA-F074D73D6E03&mode=show&page=139>,
Director of Marketing for NewsGator and Brian Stern
<http://sla.learn.com/learncenter.asp?id=178409&sessionid=3-A711B007-5E49-4BED-ACCA-F074D73D6E03&mode=preview&page=115>,
President, Enterprise sales for NewsGator Technologies

      Meal

Light snacks will be provided

      Audience

This Click U Live! seminar is designed for librarians and information
professionals who are interested in learning ways to improve the way
information is retrieved, shared, and disseminated in their
organizations. It provides an overview of the technology, benefits, use
cases, strategies, and best practices for harnessing the power of RSS.

      Contributing Member of SWON Libraries

$10

      Friend of SWON Libraries

$10

      Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, or SERLS

$10

      Other

$20

The deadline to register is Sunday, March 4th, 2007