[OPLINLIST] Katie Kazoo program...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 14:01:33 EST 2007

On February 17th, 2007, at Katie Kazoo program was held at the Bucyrus Public Library.

  Due to inclement weather, this was done as a passive program, with crafts simply laid out for participants to do.

  An Ellison star die would have been used as a nametag, as a reference to the shooting star that Katie wishes on.

  Five craft tables were set up for participants with Katie Kazoo-themed crafts.  They were:

  1.  Valentine Monkey Bookmark Craft (from book #15, Love Stinks)--These pre-packaged kits were purchased from Oriental Trading Company.  4 kits at $4.95 each cost $19.80.  These made very cute bookmarks.  The foam monkey shape, once assembled, was hot-glued onto the plastic bookmark provided.

  2.  Design Your Own Pizza Craft (from book #9, Any Way You Slice It)--Crust outline and several different topping selections (sausage, pepperoni, onion, cheese, mushrooms, green pepper) were copied onto construction paper.  Crust outlines were colored, cut out, and then participants could select what toppings they wanted on their own pizzas, color them, cut them out and affix to the crust with glue!

  3.  Heart Dog Craft (from book #8, Doggone It)--The pattern for this dog was taken from www.dltk-kids.com site.  It is made completely from heart shapes that are put together to to form a cute little dog.

  4.  Snowman Mask Craft (from book #22, It's Snow Joke)--The face shape for this cute craft is a small white paper plate.  Participants covered the plate with white cotton balls.  A derby hat shape, carrot nose and two round eyes were colored and placed on for the face itself.  A small craft stick was taped to the back.

  5 .  Take a Hike Doorhanger Craft (from Super Special book, Camp Rules!)--The Ellison doorhanger shape was used for the base of this craft.  An Ellison campfire shape and Ellison pine tree shape were glued on to the doorhanger as well as a small piece of paper that said "Take a Hike!  I'm Reading!"  Scrapbooking scissors were provided for those wanting to make their "Take a Hike" paper-cutting a bit fancier!

  I have a 24-slide powerpoint presentation available for anyone who would like it.  In addition, I would be happy send out patterns for any of the crafts that I offered.  Please contact me at barbarascott at hotmail.com or barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com

  If you are an Ohio library, I can send stuff from US CARGO.  If not, please provide a complete physical address!

  Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
  Bucyrus Public Library