[OPLINLIST] DVD Poll Results

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Thu Jan 25 10:25:44 EST 2007

Thirteen libraries responded -- THANK YOU! -- plus us.  Not scientific
or representative, but a start.
The tally:
*	WS preferred		4
*	FS preferred		3
*	BOTH (more WS)		3
*	BOTH (more FS)		4
Common issues and factors in decision:
*	Type of movie:  Action or giant epic vs. made for cable drama.
*	Type of audience:  Purists who want movie the way it was
intended vs people with small tvs who want to be able to see it vs
others who don't care.
*	Size of library and community and therefore materials budget:
*	Reservability (by library or by patron via webpac):  a big
factor -- does having two records confuse?  Disappoint?
Based on this information, we will now be purchasing both, if available,
for quantity copies of new releases. We will have separate bib records
that will clearly show in the title display the format, and we will
standardize this across publishers AACR2 be darned!  Confusion is not
much of an issue since we do not make ANY of our entertainment titles
reservable.  For new releases, we feel most patrons will be happy with
whatever format of their movie is available and can be choosy if they
pile up.  We have a feeling, however, that the market will soon make
widescreen take over due to newer TV screen sizes (and digital TV
mandated by 2009) -- the selections from Midwest are bearing this out as
well, more new releases (including reissues, directors cuts) are in
widescreen only with the most popular titles only in both.  Fullscreen
will eventually go the way of the music cassette and VHS.  We can
balance therefore todays needs (popular demand) with the future
collection (not everything you need may be available to purchase
forever)....
Thanks again for your feedback.  I quote it back below, with identifying
information redacted:

--

I am buying both fullscreen and widescreen DVDs here.  The true "film
connoisseurs" here at the library insist that we have wide screen to

Until National Library Week, 2006, we used to circulate our popular
entertainment DVDs for 3 days (5 DVDs and 5 Videos on a card) and did
not take holds for any entertainment DVD/Video, let alone the new stuff.
All of this changed in April of last year. Now, we circulate these items
for 1-week (no renewals) and patrons may place holds on the new stuff
and check out 10 in any format.

My budget for "visual material" used to top out at about $11,000-13,000.
Last year, I spent almost triple that and my budget for this area in
2007 is $45,000. It's expensive to purchase in both fullscreen and
widescreen and for better or worse, demand is so high that I often buy
3+ copies in both formats. However, I never purchase more than 5 copies
as I really do not want to be a video store ...

--

I personally like the widescreen, so if I'm purchasing multiple copies
of a big blockbuster like Pirates of the Caribbean; Lord of the Rings;

--
We are mostly ordering full screen DVDs since many of our patrons do not
yet have widescreen TVs.

we order fullscreen first, widescreen second, if we think we need a
second copy of a title to meet demand. Our most vocal patrons prefer
fullscreen.
--
We order Widescreen when available or Full Screen if that is only one
available.  Our only problem has been patrons wondering how to remove
the black bars above and below the picture on Widescreen!) We have had
more complaints about Full Screen from the purists who want to see the
whole image.
--
We do not purchase both versions.
I've never had anyone request a full screen version, but have had many
requests for widescreen.
--
We tried purchasing both formats for a while, but it was just too
confusing. We decided, eventually, to only buy widescreen or versions
that have both formats on one disc. Our reasoning was that widescreen
delivers the film as the director intended it to be seen. Also, since
the trend in TV screen dimensions seems to be heading away from square
and closer to widescreen, we felt that widescreen was the best choice
for us.
--
We buy both, generally at a ratio of 2-1 widescreen/fullscreen. The
widescreen is more popular but there are those who prefer the fullscreen
so we offer both. The problem we have is that patrons don't look in the
record to see which version it is that they are placing holds on. The
wait for the fullscreen version can be considerably longer.
--
We only buy fullscreen DVDs. We took a poll about a year ago and asked
which format our patrons would like, that we couldn't afford to buy
both. They overwhelmingly responded fullscreen.
--
Widescreen, definitely widescreen unless unavailable.
--
We buy 3 fullscreen and one widescreen. Keeps the LCD and Plasma TV
owners happy!
--
I order widescreen if it's a movie with a lot of special effects or
action.  Otherwise, I order fullscreen.  Sometimes, Midwest Tape only

Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library
32649 Electric Blvd. Avon Lake OH 44012 www.alpl.org
tel: 440-933-8128 x239 fax: 440-933-6406 cell: 216-244-7249