[OPLINLIST] Sticky Situations for Library Directors: Workshop in Springfield, Ohio

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Jun 21 15:02:27 EDT 2007

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
*

  Sticky Situations for Library Directors
  <http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=1147>

Visit Scott Warrick's Website <http://www.scottwarrick.com/>

      Date

Wednesday, July 18th, 2007

      Time

9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

      Location

Clark County Public Library
Main Library, Gaier Room
201 South Fountain Avenue
Springfield, Ohio 45506

      Speaker(s)

*Scott Warrick* is the President of Scott Warrick Consulting
<http://www.scottwarrick.com/>, a Human Resource Consulting, Employment
Law and Training firm in Columbus, Ohio. His firm specializes in
/preventing/ employee problems from happening, /proactive/ Employment
Law Compliance and HR Audits, /training/ Managers and Employees on-site
in over 30 topics, and keeping HR Professionals /up to date/ with the
changes in the law with his monthly newsletters and annual audio tapes.

Scott received his Masters degree in Labor and Human Resources from The
Ohio State University and was Valedictorian of his class of 233 at
Capital University College of Law. Scott is a Lifetime Senior
Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) accreditation and his innovation
has won him the 2000 Human Resource Association of Central Ohio's Linda
Kerns Award for Outstanding Creativity in the Field of Human Resource
Management and the 1991 David Prize for Creativity in the filed of HR
Management, awarded by the Ohio State Human Resource Council.

Scott's focus is to provide complete human resources consulting,
employment law and training services to organizations interested in
solving employee problems _before they arise_.

      Description

Have you ever run into these situations?

. "My library only employs 5 people ... so I never send COBRA notices?
An ex-employee is now suing us to pay his medical bills. Am I in
trouble? What SHOULD I have done?"

. "I suspect an employee is goofing off all day, so I read her emails. I
was right! She has been goofing off half the day. She is now suing me.
Am I in trouble? What SHOULD I have done?"

. "I want to give a reference on a former employee that was REALLY
awful. However, my Administrator is afraid of being sued for defamation
... but if I don't give a reference, I will never get one from this
employer. What SHOULD I do?"

. "I have an employee who smells like alcohol. What do I do?"

. "I have a supervisor who gropes an employee at the Clippers game on
his own time. I am now getting sued. Am I liable for this?"

. "We are going to layoff a few employees. My Administrator thinks this
is a good time to get rid of some problem employees since we have not
documented their poor behavior. Since this is a layoff, he thinks there
is no liability involved...so we can do whatever we want. Is this correct?"

In this session, YOU will choose from over 30 different "STICKY
SITUATIONS" to discuss. YOU will choose the seminar's topics. Scott will
then use both his employment law and human resource expertise to steer
you through these various REAL-LIFE situations to arrive at the answers
to these pressing issues. The trick is not to just know the law, but to
... *apply the law to good employee relations practices.*

Come and solve the "Sticky Situations for Libraries" with Scott in his
own "rubber hits the road" approach as a human resource professional and
employment attorney.

      Meal

Continental breakfast will be provided

      Audience

This class is open to all library directors and upper-level managers.

      Contributing Member of SWON Libraries

$50

      Friend of SWON Libraries

$50

      Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, or SERLS

$50

      Other

$100

The deadline to register is Sunday, July 15th, 2007