[OPLINLIST] OPLIN Gets Social

Bobbi Galvin galvinbo at oplin.org
Mon Apr 21 15:43:25 EDT 2008

Dear library staff members,

At the board retreat on April 11th, we discussed using social networking
tools to communicate OPLIN activities and promote database use.  We just
wanted to make sure you knew that we are already using some of the more
popular applications and wanted to invite you to join us.  Below is a
description of each and how we are using them.

Twitter - A quick way to keep everyone informed about what you are
doing.  You only have 140 characters per post - use them wisely!  What's
cool is that when your followers see your post, they may be inclined to
respond with their own piece of advice or perhaps even sympathize with
you.  Another benefit is that you see what others are doing.  Steal
their ideas, follow the links they post, ask for details about what they
are doing or not doing.
Follow along with us at http://twitter.com/oplin

MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/ohoplin  While it has other
capabilities, here is where we blog.  The blog covers library-related
topics that could potentially create some buzz. Though we aren't really
expecting this to be a discussion forum, your feedback and blog ideas
are always welcome!

OPLIN also has another blog...this one focuses on Ohio library news.  It
can be found here:  http://oplin.org/ohiolibrarynews/
This gets updated whenever an Ohio library hits the news.  This is not
for story time announcements and dates for local computer classes.  It's
about big projects, key staff developments, and the uniqueness of our
local libraries.  These stories don't necessarily have a technology
theme...they're just interesting.  And of course, feel free to send YOUR
news to galvinbo at oplin.org!

Are you and your tech people signed up for the OPLIN 4Cast?  This weekly
newsletter (also available by RSS) discusses four current topics of
interest to libraries. Ideas are sometimes technology related and always
progressive.  Take a look at http://www.oplin.org/4cast

Facebook - On http://www.facebook.com search for OPLIN.
Here is another great place to find out what OPLIN and other colleagues
are doing.  The online "communities" let you link to other members of
the community to share thoughts and ideas about a specific topic.

Slideshare is really cool.  We don't want anyone to miss an OPLIN
presentation, so we are posting all of our Power Point presentations
online.  You can use this locally as well to set up your own account and
share your training materials with your staff and patrons.  Our slides
can be found at http://www.slideshare.net/OPLIN

If you have any questions about any of these applications or would like
us to blog about you, just let me know.  You can chat with us at
support.oplin.org, send an e-mail to support at oplin.org or call
1-888-966-7546.

See you online!
Bobbi Galvin