[OPLINLIST] Summer Reading Program Participant Ages

Sandy hartsesa at oplin.org
Tue Apr 29 11:33:34 EDT 2008

Hello,
   What is the age range of children you allow to participate in the Summer
Reading Program?

   I am not asking about the age for actual programs, but the age for the
children to do their reading records.

   In the past we have set the age from Kindergarten and up, but now we have
had a request for younger children to be able to participate.

   Each time a child checks out a book for our program they have to write
the title and author on their card, put a sticker on the card and draw a
prize from a grab bag.
   We allow them to write 1 book on their card twice a week.
   After they have finished their 12th book they enter a drawing for their
1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of a larger prize.  All children who have read the
12 books will receive a larger prize at the end.
   We have always insisted that the children (not their parent) have to
write the title and author's name on their cards - that way they have
writing practice through the summer also.

   Thanks for any input you can give me.
Sandy Hartsel
Co-Librarian
Bettsville Public Library