[OPLINLIST] focus group comment

Mark Mabelitini mabelima at oplin.org
Thu Jan 10 12:04:00 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

I just read the OPLIN CIRCUIT: Winter 2008 Issue and was pleased to read
about the focus group that met last fall.  I found the results of the
focus group to be pretty much on target with what I think about OPLIN.

There was, however, one statement that really and truly bothered me, and
bothered me enough to send this message.  The statement was:

     When asked about their daily technology challenges, the participating
     librarians made it clear that public computing is becoming a BURDEN
     on libraries.  (EMPHASIS mine)

My friends and colleagues, as long as we see providing services to the
public as a BURDEN we are missing the point and will never be as good as
we can possibly be. Providing services to the public is what we do, and
providing new and exciting services is what we need to continue to do and
do so in a manner that meets the needs and wants of our patrons.

Public computing is not BURDEN on libraries, it is an opportunity to
continue to evolve as a profession and an institution as well as an
opportunity to continue to be relevant to the patrons.

Mark

Mark Mabelitini, Director
Tipp City Public Library
11 E. Main St.
Tipp City, Ohio 45371
(937) 667-3826 (office)
(937) 667-7968 (fax)
www.tippcitylibrary.org

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not
expect to sit." --Nelson Henderson, philanthropist