[OPLINLIST] NoveList from OPLIN ends June 30

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Mon Sep 15 09:36:25 EDT 2008

At the OPLIN Stakeholders Meeting last Friday, we regretfully
announced that the statewide OPLIN subscription to EBSCO NoveList will
be canceled when our current contract ends, on June 30, 2009.

The OPLIN budget has been cut 14.7% in the last 9 months. In our next
fiscal year (starting July 2009) we simply cannot afford to purchase
NoveList any longer. We are well aware of the popularity of this
database, and this decision was not taken lightly. NoveList is our
only remaining database purchase that is not part of our partnership
with Libraries Connect Ohio (OhioLINK, INFOhio, State Library); our
only other choice would be to start cutting our contributions toward
the cost of the general EBSCO databases or our general encyclopedia
(World Book), which would jeopardize the heart of the LCO collection.

OPLIN and the State Library are looking into alternative readers
advisory tools, and OPLIN has met with EBSCO and OHIONET to see if
Ohio public libraries can get deep discounts on purchases of NoveList.
We will immediately inform you of any developments in regard to
NoveList discounts.

--
Stephen Hedges, Executive Director
2323 W. 5th Avenue, Suite 130