[OPLINLIST] news and a request from the ALA president

Hickson, Pamela phs at akronlibrary.org
Wed Sep 17 13:14:50 EDT 2008

News and a request from the President of the American Library
Association:

On Tuesday, October 7, one of the three 2008 Presidential debates
between Senators Barack Obama and John McCain will be held at Belmont
University in Nashville, TN. This debate will be a town hall format
moderated by Tom Brokaw. The moderator will call on members of the
audience as well as select questions submitted online.

During this election year, we are looking for librarians and library
supporters from across the country to call attention to the value of
today's libraries in our communities, as well as the issues the library
community is facing. We encourage all ALA members to submit questions.
The Commission on Presidential Debates has partnered with MySpace to
create a new Web site, www.MyDebates.org. This site will become
available in the days leading up to the first Presidential debate on
September 26. The more questions submitted, the more likely a library
question will be asked. This is an opportunity for the library voice to
become an important part of the 2008 Presidential election.

Sincerely,

James Rettig
ALA President

Pamela J. Hickson-Stevenson, Assistant Director &

Ohio Chapter Councilor to the American Library Association

Akron-Summit County Public Library

60 S. High Street

Akron, OH  44326

Phone 330.643.9102

Fax 330.643.9160

phs at akronlibrary.org <mailto:phs at akronlibrary.org>

www.akronlibrary.org <http://www.akronlibrary.org>

The Akron-Summit County Public Library provides resources for learning
and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all
ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community
life.