[OPLINLIST] Patron information

Dianna Oda odadi at oplin.org
Wed Sep 24 15:40:56 EDT 2008

Hello, all. I'm interested to know if other SMALL libraries are
experiencing what we are with new patron applications.

Do you ask for more than one phone number? It seems with more and more
folks not using land lines, the phone info we collect goes bogus in no
time with cell phone changes, disconnects, and the like.

Do you mail out cards to all new patrons? We went to a piloted 'cardless'
system about 14 months ago where we don't mail a hard copy card to them.
I'm thinking of mailing just a 'welcome to the library' letter to them
just to assure the address they've given is legit.

I know we're all trying to cut costs where we can, but I'm seeing a
disturbing trend of patrons not returning materials even the first time
they check out, then upon phoning them, they've skipped.

Please reply off-list with any good ideas or suggestions.  Thanks!

Dianna Oda
Director
Brown Memorial Library
101 S. Commerce St POB 640