[OPLINLIST] editorial on the necessity of broadband

Jo Budler JBUDLER at sloma.state.oh.us
Tue Sep 30 09:45:05 EDT 2008

Here is an editorial remarking upon the necessity of broadband in rural
areas.  Please note the final paragraph where the author says "Access to
high-speed internet in the 21st century is a public necessity similar to
access to electricity in the 20th century. Much like the Rural
Electrification Act of 1936, we need a Rural Broadband Act of 2009.
Doing so is crucial to the future of rural America."

Ohio is a shining example of how public libraries provide equity of
access.  Through OPLIN we are able to provide broadband to rural
community members at their public libraries.  While no one would argue
that broadband access to the home is the ideal, this alternative is an
excellent interim measure.

In some ways, Ohio is so far ahead of the rest of the country.  It is
hard these days to see the bright side but I certainly see our public
libraries as a great positive - all library staff should be proud of
their contributions.

Keep shining!

Jo

***********************************

Jo Budler, State Librarian

State Library of Ohio

274 East First Ave, Suite 100, Columbus, OH  43201

Phone:  614-644-6843; 800-686-1532 (Ohio only)

Fax: 614-466-3584

http://www.library.ohio.gov

"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."

Home <http://www.cfra.org/>  > News and Media
<http://www.cfra.org/news_media>  > Weekly Column
<http://www.cfra.org/news_media/weekly>

Rural Broadband Access Key Component in Community Success

Release Date:

09/09/08

By:

Brian Depew, briand at cfra.org, Center for Rural Affairs

Only 38 percent of rural Americans have access to a high-speed internet
connection. A vibrant future for rural America will require public
policy that rectifies this situation.

High-speed internet is revolutionizing the way we do business, and with
this can come great opportunity for rural America. However, as long as
millions of rural Americans are without broadband service and others are
served only marginally, we will continue to fall behind in adoption of a
technology that could propel us forward.

Additionally, from conducting political campaigns, to issue advocacy, to
holding our legislators accountable, the internet is revolutionizing
politics and governing itself. If rural Americans are not able to
participate at the same rate as urban Americans, we will suffer worse
policy and less government accountability to issues that matter to rural
people and places.

The U.S. ranks 16th worldwide for the percent of citizens that have
high-speed internet access, and we pay more when we do have access. In
rural areas both access and affordability are significantly worse.
Finally, any broadband network must remain open to all points of view,
and private providers should be prohibited from blocking or filtering
traffic in any way that curtails our right to free speech.

For more information visit: www.cfra.org <http://www.cfra.org/> .