[OPLINLIST] Recent Technology Symposium Event in Toledo

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Thu Apr 23 12:21:58 EDT 2009

Chauncey Montgomery (director) and I attended a symposium at the
Toledo-Lucas County Public Library on 4/15
A no charge, no pressure event with speakers from 3 companies and a case
study by TLCPL
In my opinion, an event well worth attending should you have the
opportunity.

DMC Technology Group Inc, in Toledo, held it to showcase 3 interesting
technologies for use in libraries
All 3 have the potential to streamline operation and save money.

A short summary (of sorts) on the covered items.

1) Optimize network bandwidth, monitor use, control streaming media and
social networking sites, accelerate mission critical traffic.
Item of interest:
 You don't necessarily need to increase bandwidth, possibly just control
the use.

2) Backup and recover solutions using data deduplication technology
Items of interest:
 No tapes
 Very substantial reduction in backup time utilizing block mode (faster
than incremental)
 Quick restore of files
 Long term backup retention

3) Virtualization solutions
Items of interest:
 Virtual desktops,
 Live migration of virtual machines between servers
 Running programs without an operating system.

If interested, additional information may be obtained through:

Website   http://www.dmctechnologygroup.com/
Email       eric.lacy at DMCtechgroup.com

<http://www.dmctechnologygroup.com/>

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library