[OPLINLIST] Governor Strickland Proclaims April 30, 2009 as El Día de los Niños/Day of the Child in Ohio

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Fri Apr 24 16:03:37 EDT 2009

Governor Strickland Proclaims April 30, 2009 as El Día de los Niños/Day of the Child in Ohio

Please excuse multiple postings...

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland has proclaimed April 30, 2009 as 'El Día de los Niños/Day of the Child' in Ohio. The proclamation states, "Frances and I, on behalf of all Ohioans honor the State Library of Ohio <http://www.library.ohio.gov/>  and the Ohio Commission on Hispanic/Latino Affairs <http://ochla.ohio.gov/>  as they encourage libraries throughout the State to participate in events on this special day. Ohio recognizes this important day on behalf of the Hispanic/Latino citizens, one of our fastest growing multicultural communities."

The April issue of the State Library of Ohio online newsletter features articles and resources related to this special day. Four cities in Ohio, Willard, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus are registered with the National Latino Children's Institute <http://www.nlci.org/>  and official El Día de los Niños/Day of the Child' sites! According to State Librarian Jo Budler, "On 'El Día de los Niños' we raise awareness of the importance of children's collections, programs, and services for every child regardless of their language or culture. Libraries throughout Ohio have special events planned to honor children with Latin American backgrounds."

"'El Día de los Niños/Day of the Child' is a wonderful opportunity to stress the importance of literacy, education, and cherish our state's children for the future they represent," said Director of Ohio Latino Affairs Commission Ezra C. Escudero. "Just as Latin American countries have celebrated this great day for generations; we now can weave this wonderful tradition into the American tapestry and make it our own here in Ohio."

The 2009 'El Día de los Niños/Day of the Child' in Ohio marks the fifth year that the Governor of Ohio has proclaimed the importance of this day in celebrating literacy education for Hispanic/Latino children in Ohio.

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201