[OPLINLIST] [OPLINTECH] Recent Technology Symposium Event in Toledo

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Mon Apr 27 10:39:36 EDT 2009

Jim's insight is welcomed additional information, being  in depth for a
specific library and suggesting different options.

The speakers from the 3 featured companies did not provide prices.
DMC plans to provide us more information and a preliminary quote.

Item 1 (Bandwidth monitoring and control)
Toledo-Lucas County Public Library uses it .
A price I google'd ($2800) seemed reasonable for the benefit.
But the price was for low usage and also may be wrong.

Item 2 (Deduplication backup} is probably expensive, as Jim mentioned.
But, still interesting to contemplate.
Imagine, 30 minute backups. Our full backup takes 10 hours

Item 3 (Virtualization without a client OS) is scheduled for release
this year according to the speaker.
It probably will be expensive, but interesting to dream about.
I specifically did not mention company names of the presenters.
However....
     This company was VMware so details should eventually show up.

OUR VIRTUAL SERVER ~ For what it's worth.

We have had one for 2 1/2 years. So far it just chugs along.
It requires maintenance, updates, etc. but much less time than the rest
of our PC's.
Probably due to the type of guests, network setup, quantity of PC's, etc.

The server currently has 8 guests.
  IPcop (With DansGuardian)
  ZoneCD (for wireless policy acceptance)
  openSUSE website, blogs, etc.
  openSUSE Education (Like Edubuntu)
  Novell 5.1 (File Server)
  WXP admin console
  W2003 Server (TLC for CIRC &  PAC)
  NIMA (Network Monitoring)

R. W. (Bob) Neeper     Cell: (740)-407-3572
Community Library
44 Burrer Dr.
Sunbury, Oh 43074
Tel:  (740)-965-3901