[OPLINLIST] Censorship exhibit available for Banned Books Week

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Fri Aug 14 08:40:12 EDT 2009

Please excuse multiple postings...

Censorship in Schools and Libraries" exhibit available for Banned Books
Week - September 26 - October 3, 2009

The Long Island Coalition Against Censorship is an association of 22
educational and community organizations (16 are public libraries and
professional library organizations). The purpose of the Coalition is to
defend challenges to the First Amendment rights of public and school
libraries when there are efforts by individuals or groups to censor
books and other materials

In planning an exhibit for Banned Books Week in the fall, you might wish
to consider displaying the new edition of our exhibit, "Censorship in
Schools and Libraries."

The 2009 edition of the exhibit presents 32 illustrations of censorship
each one approximately 11" x 14" with accompanying text that is 11" x
14." The history of censorship in public libraries and schools
highlights incidents of censorship that have occurred nationally during
the last 150 years. Included are descriptions of the censorship of
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, In the Night Kitchen, The Catcher in the
Rye, and the novels of Judy Blume and Chris Crutcher. The censorship of
Susan Patron's novel, The Higher Power of Lucky, which was awarded the
Newbery Prize, is in the new edition. U.S. Supreme Court decisions
including the landmark Island Trees book banning case are part of the
exhibit.

Quality copies have been reproduced which may be readily presented on
posters or bulletin boards in your library and then retained by you as a
reference source. If your space is limited, we suggest that you rotate
the incidents of censorship during the time the exhibit is on display.
Excerpts from the exhibit are on our web site www.the-licac.org
<http://www.the-licac.org/> . Click on Exhibits, "Censorship in Schools
and Libraries" (for a description of the exhibit) and then Selected
Cases. You may order the exhibit by e-mail or sending a purchase order
to the LI Coalition Against Censorship, PO Box 296, Port Washington,
N.Y.11050. The cost of the exhibit including mailing charges is $40.00.
We request payment by check within 30 days after you receive the
exhibit. If you need any additional information our e-mail address is
coalcen1 at verizon.net or call (516) 944-9799.

Donald Parker, Co-coordinator, LI Coalition Against Censorship