[OPLINLIST] Grossology Storytime Compilation

Heidi L. Smith smithhe at oplin.org
Fri Feb 13 11:33:59 EST 2009

A HUGE thank you to Doug A., Laura, Erin G., Pat, Charlotte, Martha,
Rhonda W., Cheryl, Sharon, Robbi, Abby, Renee, Devin, Pam, Erin M. and
Carol for taking the time to forward some great ideas for my grossology
storytime. Their responses are posted below.

Also, I did come across a song titled "This Old Man Came Squirming Home"
from KIDiddles. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.kididdles.com/lyrics/t092.html

Heidi L. Smith
Youth Services Librarian
Kaubisch Memorial Public Library
smithhe at oplin.org

Original Post:
I'm planning a grossology program for my preschool storytime at the end
of February. I have a few books that I'm thinking of using. I'd also
like to have them make Gak or something along that line afterwards.
However, I'm experiencing "brain freeze" (figuratively and literally).
Whew, is it cold! I would be so grateful if any of you could forward
songs, fingerplays, books, crafts, and/or any other suggestions that
could be helpful with this theme. Here's some of the titles I've already
pulled.

1- "What Did You Put in Your Pocket?" by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers
2- "My Little Sister Ate 1 Hare" by Bill Grossman
3- "What's that Awful Smell?" by Heather Tekavec
4- "Don't Do That!" by Tony Ross

I'll also be glad to post a compilation of any ideas that I receive.

***David Pelham's "Sam's Sandwich" is a fun popup/foldout book to use
for this sort of theme.
http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Sandwich-David-Pelham/dp/0525447512/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232044153&sr=8-1
<http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Sandwich-David-Pelham/dp/0525447512/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232044153&sr=8-1>

What about the title story from "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly
Stupid Tales" by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith?
http://www.amazon.com/Stinky-Cheese-Other-Fairly-Stupid/dp/067084487X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232044284&sr=8-1
<http://www.amazon.com/Stinky-Cheese-Other-Fairly-Stupid/dp/067084487X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232044284&sr=8-1>
 ... though it might be a little advanced for a preschool storytime.

***I have done 2 programs for grades K-6 that are taken from Rob Reid's
book Cool Story Programs for the School-Age Crowd, but I think you could
easily adapt for preschoolers, especially with his suggestions at the
end of each chapter!

Another book I am thinking of using (but haven't yet) is Kid's Squish
Book by Loris Theovin Bree & Marlin Bree.  Lots of recipes like Slime,
Bleck, Goo, etc.

***Here a a great song to use:
Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts,
Mutilated monkey meat, little dirty birdie feet.
Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts - and me without a
spooooon. *great big disappointed sigh*

There are many versions of this, if you just type in the first line I a
google search.

You could make Dirt Pudding Cups with Gummy worms.
Make a sensory feel box:
    Peeled grapes (eye balls)
    Fishing Bait Worms (like the gummy plastic kind)
    I think there is something you can use to represent intestines (but
I can't remember what it is)
    Cooked Spagettie noodles
Also try to get your hands on some chocolate covered raisins, call them
chocolate covered bugs
You couls also use no bake cookies (cow patties)

***I have one song and one craft idea for you -

My very first thought was the old song Greasy Grimey Gopher Guts
Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Little birdie's dirty feet
Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts
And I forgot my spoon! Shucks!

I remember that it always grossed out my mom when my kids sang it!

If you decide against gak, you could always have the kids "fingerpaint"
with instant pudding.  Yes, you'll need to check about milk allergies
first, but it's always been a hit when I've been able to do it.  You
just use the instant pudding mix, give each kid a blob of it and let
them smear it on paper.  We usually do chocolate, vanilla and pistachio
to give them 3 colors to experiment with.  The gross part certainly
comes out when they have 3 colors of instant pudding all mixed together
on their hands and arms!

***No David comes to mind...playing "looky" with his food and picking
his nose! It is by David Shannon.

***"I ain't gonna paint no more!" by Karen Beaumont.

***I am planning a "book hook" grossology program for older children
this summer. Please pass along any information you recieve in regards to
this topic. Also, a fun non-fiction book that might interest your
pre-schoolers is Ronald Dahl's Revoting Recipes. The just fun and silly
to hear.

***I did a similar storytime using the following:

Books:  I Know an Old Lady
            Monster's Lunchbox  (Mark Brown;  ISBN 0-316-11313-1)
            One Hungry Monster
            And David Pelham's two:  The Sensational Samburger
(0-525-45426-3)
            And        Sam's Pizza  (0-525-45594-9)

Fingerplays:

            Yucky Food Song
            I thank You, God, for the food you give us,
            But some foods I wish you just gave to the animals!
            Like seafood, Brussels sprouts, and sauerkraut,
            Pineapple, stinky-cheese and broiled trout.

            I thank You, God, for the food you give us,
            But some foods I wish you just gave to the animals!
            Like green beans, venison and tomatoes,
            Canteloupe, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes.

            I thank You, God, for the food you give us,
            Especially my favorites.
            Like spaghetti, yellow rice and tacos.
            Ice cream, candy and French fried potatoes.

I thank You, God, for the food you give us,
            But please keep those yucky foods for the platypus

 Let's Have Some Yucky Food
            Bugs and worms, grasshoppers, too.
            Some for me and some for you.
            Oh, Oh, Are you in the mood
            Let's have some yucky food.

 Pizza Pie  (Tune:  "Shortnin' Bread")
            Mama's little baby loves pizza, pizza,
            Mama's little baby loves pizza pie.
            Mama's little baby loves pizza, pizza,
            Mama's little baby loves pizza pie.

            Bring on the worms, Bring on the bees.
            We're going to eat ooey-gooies, if you please.

Ravioli  (Tune:  "Aloutte")
            Ravioli, I like ravioli.
            Ravioli, it's so good for me.
            Do I have it in my hair?
            Yes you have it in your hair.
            In my hair?   Ohhh...
            Ravioli, I like ravioli.
            Ravioli, it's so good for me.

Ravioli, I like ravioli.
            Ravioli, it's so good for me.
            Do I have it on my chin?
            Yes, you have it on your chin.
            On my chin?  In my hair?  Ohhh...
            Ravioli, I like ravioli.
            Ravioli, it's so good for me.

Continue with other body parts or clothing:  tie, shirt, skirt, foot,
shoes, hands...

Also had but didn't use (Could be touchy for this age):

The Cannibal Song  (Tune:  "Row, Row, Row Your Boat")
            Stir, stir, stir the soup
            Taste it with a spoon.
            Yummy. Yummy. Yummy, yummy.
            Hope she'll be done soon.

Sniff, sniff, sniff the meat
            Salt it like you should.
            Tasty, tasty, tasty, tasty.
            Humans taste so good.

Slurp, slurp, slurp it down
            Never get enough
            Hope we catch more humans soon.
            We're crazy 'bout this stuff!

Whew! Phew! Burp! I'm full.
            Think I'm going to pop.
            Phooey, phooey, phooey, phooey!
            Guess I'll have to stop.

Gosh, darn, golly gee,
            Wish it wasn't so.
            Oh, well, what the heck,
            Pass me one more toe.

For a craft, we made yucky pizza.  Large tan circle, smaller red circle
(tomato sauce), with cutouts of bugs, frogs, etc. and topped with small
pieces of light yellow yarn.

***Take a look at
12 Terrible Things by Marty Kelley
Kiss Kiss Yuck Yuck by Kyle Mewburn

Song:
My Brother Eats Bugs
The Banana Slug Song (there's a verse about licking the slug that's
REALLY gross)

***I liked Thelonius Monster's Sky-High Fly Pie - it's pretty gross!

***Another book you might consider for your Grossology storytime is Big
Smelly Bear by Britta Teckentrup. :)

***I used the big book Gross Alphabet Snacks by Harriet Isecke in a
program.  The preschoolers LOVED it!

***There is a CD called Gross Songs Kids Love to Sing

Some Books are
Parker Picks - Deborah Levine
Bugs for Lunch - Margery Facklam
It All Began with a Bean Katie McKy
Old Black Fly  Jim Aylesworth
Stinky, Smelly Feet  Margie Palatini
Everyone Poops  Taro Gomi
Smelly Socks Robert Munsch
Walter the Farting dog (several)  William Kotzwinkle
(There's an actual Walter that farts when you squeeze him, available on Amazon)
Stop That Nose!  Martha Peaslee Levine

If you google slime recipes, you can find easy ways to make slime.
I always have the kids use baggies so they can just use that to take it home.

***For your grossology story time, might refer back to the Buggy SRP
manual if you have it. Look in the index under treats, food, songs, &
eating bugs, for ideas.  There were a lot of fun buggy treat recipes
along with some songs & finger plays. I always like the books, "There
was an old lady who swallowed a ......" Kids like making the flubber. If
you need a recipe, I can send you one.  I used the book, The Secret
Science Project that Almost Ate My School for 1st - 3rd graders, it
might be a little long for preschoolers. Jell-O with gummy worms or dirt
pudding is a yummy treat and pretty simple to make. You will have fun
with that theme.

***I immediately thought of three songs: the baby bumblebee song, Cold
Spaghetti, and the little brown sparrow song. I don't know that the tune
for brown sparrow is related to another, more common song, but here are
the lyrics I'd use with preschoolers. Maybe they'll ring a bell with you.

Oh I wish I were a little brown sparrow
Oh I wish I were a little brown sparrow
I would sit upon the steeple
and go ppppht upon the people
Oh I wish I were a little brown sparrow

Oh I wish I were a little slurp of Coke
Oh I wish I were a little slurp of Coke
I'd go down with every slurpee
And come up with every burpee
Oh I wish I were a little slurp of Coke

Cold Spaghetti is sung to the tune of the French folk song "Alouette"
and you sing about where you want to "wear" cold spaghetti.

CHORUS:
Cold spaghetti, lots of Cold spaghetti
Cold spaghetti, the things we like to eat

Do you like it in your hair? (Teacher)
Yes we like it in our hair. (Kids echo)
In your hair
in your hair
Everywhere
Everywhere
oh, oh, oh, oh...CHORUS

repeat with as many body parts as necessary, going backward through the
ones already sung each time.: in your toes, (in your toes) in your teeth
(in your teeth) in your hair (in your hair) everywhere (everywhere).The
kids pick up on it really fast.

How about Jack Prelutsky's poem Bleezer's Ice Cream? Could be adapted
for the little ones.

***I LOVE: Buz by Richard Egielski