[OPLINLIST] iSafe "Quality for E-Rate" email

Missy Lodge MLODGE at sloma.state.oh.us
Tue Feb 24 11:40:49 EST 2009

Lorrie Germann, State E-Rate Coordinator has issued the following
message for Ohio public librarians:

Good Morning E-Rate Community,

You may have recently received an email from iSafe, a provider of
Internet safety education.  The email has sparked a lot of questions and
concern .  The email is implying that applicants risk losing their
E-Rate funding if they are not currently complying with the CIPA
requirement of "educating minors about appropriate online behavior,
including interacting with other individuals on social networking
websites and in chat rooms and cyber bullying awareness and response."

That requirement has not been defined yet.  The CEO of iSafe has been
contacted and a copy of the email has been sent to the FCC.  The email
flier was sent out nationwide and is being greatly discussed on the
State E-Rate Coordinator Alliance (SECA) listserv.

Please see information below posted on the SECA listserv  :

"Since the FCC has not yet acted to propose how to implement the law,
it's impossible to predict exactly what the requirements are at this
time.  The email seems misleading by implying that action by districts
is required at this time.  Perhaps she can clarify that her company
believes this product will be appropriate and sufficient to comply with
the forthcoming regulations and at this time there has not been any
interpretative requirements of the law established by the agency
responsible for overseeing implementation of the law."

I will pass on any additional information as I receive it.  Please do
not hesitate to contact me if you have questions or require additional
information.

Sincerely,

Lorrie Germann
State E-Rate Coordinator / Educational Technology Consultant
eTech Ohio
2323 W. Fifth Ave., Suite 100, Columbus, Ohio  43204
614.485.6050 office

=