[OPLINLIST] Summer Food Service Programs...

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Wed Jan 7 10:52:20 EST 2009

The Nelsonville Public Library started doing this program in 1997, the
first library in Ohio to participate. Mackenzie Betts at OLC wrote an
article about that in 2005,
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3978/is_200504/ai_n13636260,
and the Nelsonville program was also included that year in a booklet
USDA published about model programs,
http://www.fns.usda.gov/CND/Summer/library/HandBooks/Model_Programs_Booklet_2005.pdf

In general, you will find that the program costs more than the
reimbursement provides. That's because it's structured for
establishments that run their own kitchens -- schools -- and libraries
will probably need to pay someone else to provide the meals.
Nelsonville contracted with the local Meals-on-Wheels folks for this,
and then asked civic organizations to donate the difference between
the cost and the reimbursement. You'll find that most civic
organizations are very eager to support a program that feeds hungry
kids.

Which brings up the big "pro" of such a service: the public relations
opportunities are absolutely golden!

Stephen