[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio News

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Thu Jan 8 12:13:32 EST 2009

Please excuse multiple postings...

The January 2009 issue of The News
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09news.html>  is now
available at the State Library of Ohio's website and links included
below.

The News <http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09news.html>

January 2009

Literacy=Lifelong Learning=Success in Life

By State Librarian Jo Budler

One cannot open a newspaper these days without being bombarded with bad
news, especially about the economy. The silver lining is that our public
libraries are being used more heavily during this downward turn in the
economy. Their importance is ever more apparent especially in the area
of literacy.

The State Library is involved with many of these literacy programs. At
the December State Library Board meeting, the State Library Board
approved a Library Services and Technology Act grant to fund the next
stage of the Ohio Ready to Read project. This will allow additional
training across the state so that librarians and early childhood care
providers can work together so that our youngest residents are ready to
read - and to learn - when they enter kindergarten.

In addition, Ruth Metcalf has been working with a variety of partners on
a take-off on the "One Book" reading promotion projects (for additional
info on this go to http://www.loc.gov/loc/cfbook/onebook/
<http://www.loc.gov/loc/cfbook/onebook/> ). The project called "Choose
to Read Ohio" is described in greater detail in an article in this
newsletter. Ruth and her committee members have chosen 4 titles (3
contemporary and one classic) in 3 categories (young children, young
adults and adults). Over the next few months, they will be developing
support material to be used in conjunction with these titles. The
program will be formally introduced during the Ohioana Book Festival in
May 2009. More details can be found at
http://oh.webjunction.org/ohctrointro
<http://oh.webjunction.org/ohctrointro>

When I think about literacy and what it means, I remember my daughter in
kindergarten and how she wanted the "magic" so that she could open a
book and read on her own. This was about more than the act of reading.
It was about opening not only a book but the entire world. We know that
there are no bounds on what a person can learn if one can read. There is
nothing more magical than that and that is the magic we want for each
and every one of our children.

Choose to Read Ohio
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09choosetoread.html>

Choose to Reach Ohio to Launch at the Third Annual Ohioana Festival
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09ohioana.html>

Clermont County Public Library's "Every Child Ready to Read" Exemplary
Project <http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09r2rclermont.html>

Every Child Ready To Read @ your library(r)   (and beyond)
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09everychildrtr.html>

Literacy, Republican Motherhood, and the Women's Movement in the Rare
Book Room <http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09republit.html>

Ohio Literacy Network is the Gateway to Learning & Earning
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09oln.html>

The American Dream Starts at Morley Library
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/newsletter/jan09amdream.html>

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue