[OPLINLIST] snow days

huizenge@oplin.org huizenge at oplin.org
Fri Jan 30 19:24:06 EST 2009

I think that Deborah's solution is very sensible.  In NW Ohio we don't get
the heavy snow that you get in Geauga County, but our County is very
rural.  The blowing and drifting of the roads is a big factor here.  We
also do close if our county is  at a "Level 3" snow emergency.  (You could
get ticketed if you are out driving around.) I do think that being able to
use personal (or sick) days is very reasonable.  I also think that being
able to make of the time is also a sensible solution.
At the library where I used to work, one of our staff members had the
sewer back up in her home (this was also weather related)and she was
permitted to use sick leave.  (Actually in that case, I am sure that
problem DID make her sick!)
I agree that we shouldn't operate like schools - we need to be open
whenever possible, but if the weather is very bad, we should stay off the
roads so that the plows can get the roads cleaned.  (As I said, we are in
a rural area, which is very different than living in a larger community.)
Georgi Huizenga, Harris-Elmore Public Library