[OPLINLIST] Governor's Press Conference

Marsha Wagner mwagner at canalfultonlibrary.org
Tue Jul 7 09:17:45 EDT 2009

I'm going to have my staff update the library's website with the second temporary budget. I plan to include the fact that many library staff work at the state minimum wage which libraries cannot cut. In an industry where library staff have always had low wages, it would take major staff cuts to reduce our budget by 50%. Not all library staff or library directors make wages as high as quoted by the Governor. To suggest that staff take cuts is insulting as most library staffs will probably have to undergo layoffs to get to the 50% level suggested by the Governor. I think he does not believe that branches will close and small community libraries will severly reduce hours and staff.

Marsha Wagner

Director
Canal Fulton Public Library
154 Market St. NE
Canal Fulton, OH 44708
330 854-4148; fax 330 8549520

"All that mankind has done, thought, gained or been; it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books." Thomas Carlyle