[OPLINLIST] Secretary Brunner Launches Better Lives, Better Ohio

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Thu Jul 9 09:52:10 EDT 2009

Please excuse multiple postings...

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

Tel: 614-644-6875

Fax: 614-466-3584

www.library.ohio.gov

________________________________

July 8, 2009

For Immediate Release

SECRETARY BRUNNER LAUNCHES BETTER LIVES, BETTER OHIO

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner has launched an
online resource to help all Ohioans better understand the challenges
facing our state as well as identify our state's areas of success.

Better Lives, Better Ohio is an idea first conceived when the secretary
campaigned for office in 2006.  This launch is the realization of
Secretary Brunner's fourth goal established for her administration upon
taking office in January of 2007.  The other three accomplished and
ongoing goals are:

*        Restore Trust to Ohio Elections

*        Ensure Business Filings Are Quick, Efficient and Easy To
Retrieve

*        Protect Social Security Numbers From Public Access

"What if we could take information that is collected about our state in
regards to important factors that affect the lives of so many and we
house them in one location?" Brunner said. "Making this information
readily available is important for people who are working to make our
state a better place to live, work and play."

The data that can be researched in this powerful tool covers a wide
spectrum of county-by-county information including natural resources,
economic factors, health statistics, crime, census data and citizen
involvement.

What a user can do:

*     An elected official - Easily search for information on a statewide
basis or county-by- county to identify areas for improvement hopefully
leading to better engagement with constituent needs.

*     A student - The possibilities are endless for research at all
levels of education.  The resource could help with any number of
projects associated with school and research.

*     A non-profit entity - Having this information assembled in one
place will allow many non-profits to better identify needs in their
community to better serve their populations.

The research possibilities will provide the user with an array of
diverse information that could prove useful to grant writers,
legislators and other elected officials, students, teachers and anyone
who would like to take a closer look at the opportunities here in the
Buckeye State and the challenges that we face.

The resource was designed within the Information Technology Division of
the Secretary of State's office.  The director of the project worked
with 18 state and federal sources to identify approximately 300
indicators presented in Better Lives, Better Ohio.  The data will be
updated as it is available from these agencies.  Additionally, the
resource will be updated to include other agencies information as it is
provided.

Better Lives, Better Ohio can be accessed at www.sos.state.oh.us
<http://www.sos.state.oh.us> .

-30-

Media Contacts:

Jeff Ortega, Assistant Director of Communications, Media (614) 466-0473

Kevin Kidder, Media Relations Coordinator, (614) 995-2168