[OPLINLIST] Charges for requests

Alan Hall alanh at oplin.org
Thu Jul 23 09:38:51 EDT 2009

Kathy-

This is a difficult situation.  We are all trying to recover funds for our
budgets, but I don't think that charging for "loans" within SEO will be
effective way of recovering funds.  I consider these to be "branch loans"
within the system and they move by US Cargo.  Real ILLs are the things that
go through OCLC and have specific transportation and staff costs associated
with them.

Many libraries are considering charging $ 2 - 5 for ILLs to recover
transportation costs.

US Cargo is the best investment that we all can make in these times, the
ability to move things around will keep us viable when we have slashed
materials budgets.  If we don't remain viable to our public, we will
eventually fade away from their information-source thinking, and someone
will use that to show that library budgets can be reduced and people will
find another way.

My library often purchases items requested via ILL, it is cheaper in some
instances, and it adds a title to the SEO system that others may want.

I think we need to be careful of "nickel and dime" increases in this cost
and that cost, it really doesn't yield that much money for the library
budget, and it reduces usage and people do go elsewhere.

For what it's worth, my first day working in an Ohio public library was Dec.
22, 1970 - pushing a book truck around.  I have never witnessed times like
these.  We are all looking for that great idea that will solve all of our
budgetary woes.

Alan Hall

Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County